PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA: Many great dogs for adoption!

Krista
May 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I am a volunteer at the North Central Shelter in Los Angeles. The shelter is a very high volume shelter and right now we have over 300 dogs. We have so many GREAT big adult and senior dogs for adoption. We have many different breeds and colors. Some of these dogs are the victims of the economy because their owner's lost their homes, some are strays, and sadly some are victims of stupid people ( I am sorry but it is true).

I go to the shelter at least 3 times a week to see the dogs. I go up and down the kennels saying hi and giving attention. I keep seeing the same faces over and over. We have so many dogs that have been there for months! Is it because they are bad? Not at all! These dogs are all sweet and friendly - it is just reality that a lot of people only want puppies or small dogs.

It really breaks my heart to see all these dogs. They look at me with such hope - will you pet me? will you love me? will you help me?
When I sit with a dog, I look around and I can see all the dogs watching me- some bark as if they are begging me to come see them and some just sit there with sad and hopeful eyes. They are all so grateful and happy for any bit of attention they receive. It is really very sad.

If you are looking for a dog - PLEASE ADOPT! Go to your local shelter and see all the wonderful dogs for adoption. Not only will you be saving a life but you will have a best friend for life.
If you live in the LA area and you want to adopt a dog, please call me at 818-731-8971 or email me at ironbabe1973@yahoo.com . I would love to take you around my shelter and introduce you to all the great dogs.
Thank you
Here are some pics of some cute dogs available for adoption. Please contact me if want info on any of these dogs!
1 Oscar, 2 Sarita, 3 Sissy, 4 Buster, 5 Princess

Rebecca
May 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for posting this and for all the great work you do for dogs in need of homes and lovin'! With the economy the way it is, lots of people seem to be having to relinquish great pets to shelters... adopting is a great way to get a nice dog that may already be housebroken and trained, which can be MUCH nicer than starting with a puppy!

Busy people interested in getting a dog should remember that adult and senior dogs are also a great choice for people who work longer hours and don't have time for a puppy.

If I get any calls from people in LA looking for dogs, I'll send them your way, Krista. Thanks!! :D

Dana
May 4th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Those are some great looking dogs. Sarita has a gorgeous face and Sissy has those great ears that stand up and go every which way. Great for entertaining expressions :)

Krista
May 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thank you Rebecca and Dana for all the support with my shelter dogs!

I thought I would give a little of info about the dogs.

1. Oscar is barely a year old and he is very friendly and sweet. He has been at the shelter since December 30, 2007! He is very energetic and playful. He gets along GREAT with female dogs but I don't know about male dogs as he has always had female kennelmates. He would make a great 2nd dog and he would be perfect for an active household.

2. Sarita is 4 years old and has been at the shelter since the end of December. She is super sweet but can be a little shy. She is very sensitive and is so sad and lonely at the shelter. She could be good with other dogs as she had a senior male kennelmate that she adored (he got rescued).

3. Buster Brown is one of my favorites. He basically has been at the shelter since July 2007! YIKES!!! He was adopted in January but his adopter never picked him up at the vet! Buster needs out of the shelter bad. He is so affectionate and loves everyone but he really loves the peoples he knows. He is somewhat scared of other dogs so he may need to be the only dog BUT we enrolled him in the PitBull training session at our shelter. We are hoping to socialize him with other dogs and get him trained!

4. Sissy came into the shelter in December with an injured leg. She is all better now! Sissy is super loving and will stick her paw out of the kennel for attention. She is just over a year old and very energetic. She likes cuddles and kisses too!

5. Princess is a total LOVE!! She is a senior - 10 year old. She was turned in by her owners because of move. This girl is so affectionate and cuddly. She rolls on her back for belly rubs and loves to get hugs. She is so cute in person!

Rebecca
May 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the additional info... they sound like such great dogs!

I'd never have guessed that Princess is a senior! She looks like a puppy in that pic... maybe I need to ask her for some of her anti-aging beauty secrets!

Krista
May 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Here is a little update:
Princess got adopted!!! :)
Oscar got adopted!!!!:)

Buster, Sarita and Sissy still need homes!

Dana
May 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
Great news for Princess and Oscar :thumbup: Thanks for the update.

Rebecca
May 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear the good news! I especially love that Princess got a home, since she's got two strikes against her, being a senior and a big, black dog... neither of which makes her statistically likely to get adopted. Glad she found someone who could see past all that!

We'll send good vibes that the rest of them get adopted soon, too! :)

Krista
May 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Bad news. It looks like Oscar escaped from his home and he is back at the shelter. He has been there for almost a week so I guess the new owners are not coming to get him.:(
He will be available for adoption really soon. He has a new kennelmate. He is GREAT with female dogs so if you know of anyone looking for a playmate let me know!!

Rebecca
May 29th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Huh?? So the shelter contacted them and they just didn't show up to get him, or what? That just seems bizarre and evil! :angry:

I'm really sorry to hear it... it must be especially discouraging to have one of your dogs adopted then see them back at the shelter again. Ugh.

Let's hope this isn't as bad as it seems... over the years I've had a couple of clients whose dogs escaped while they were on vacation and the dog was home with a dog sitter who didn't know what to do about getting the dog back... their dogs ended up in the shelter for days before they got home to retrieve them. Let's hope it's something like that and his wonderful, responsible owners will come to get him once they get home from Honolulu!!

Krista
May 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Today is a very bittersweet day.
Sarita got adopted! To a great couple.
Sadly, Buster Brown did not make it. He was euthanized today. RIP Buster - I tried so hard for you. I will always remember you.

Rebecca
May 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Buster Brown... I remember from my days working at the ASPCA how awful it is to have a favorite dog put to sleep. :crying: He was a handsome boy... it's hard to believe nobody wanted him. This is a sad reminder of how many great dogs are euthanized every day. Adopt, people!!

Congrats on Sarita... I hope she's very happy in her new home!

Krista
June 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
A little update:
Sissy was adopted today!! Yippee! She is going home with a wonderful woman who lives in San Jose!
Sarita is doing GREAT in her new home.
Looks like Oscar's new owner's never came to get him, so he is the only one still available on this post!

Rebecca
June 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Glad things have worked out for most of the dogs on this post! Now let's hope Oscar finds a new, PERMANENT home soon!! He looks so sweet and cute in the pic! :wub:

Krista
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Ok - it looks like Oscar found a home too! I sure hope it is his forever home this time!

Dana
June 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Good for Oscar :thumbup: I hope this home has a fence.

Rebecca
June 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
So happy to hear that! He was so cute when I got to see him in person!

Let's hope he decides to stick around his new home this time!!