PDA

View Full Version : Letting me know

Nicholas
January 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
So the puppy has been doing really well about going to the bathroom outside when I take him out, and he often will go to the door when he has to go pee but if i'm not fast enough on my feet he'll just go right there.
I was wondering is there a good way to train him to let me know when he wants out? Or will this just be something that will develop as he gets older?
Thanks!
Nicholas

Rebecca
January 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi, Nicholas...

It's a good sign that your dog is already going to the door. Be as vigilant as possible about supervising your puppy... when he goes to the door, you want to be right behind him so you can get him out before he has an accident.

Many dogs will naturally start to indicate when they need to go outside if they've been on a good housebreaking program that's taught them that they are only allowed to potty outside. When a dog believes that going potty in the house isn't an option, he'll tend to show some signs of anxiety when he needs to go but can't get out. He might whine, pace, bark or scratch at the door. If you see him doing any of these things, be sure to get him outside right away to reinforce those behaviors so he learns what works.

If that doesn't happen naturally with your dog or if you want to start training him now to let you know he needs to go out, check out this article on teaching your dog to bark to go out (http://thehousebreakingbible.com/training/barking-training.htm).

Nicholas
February 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your help Rebecca and Dana,
Dio has been doing real good about not going in his create and he's even been letting me know when he needs to go out.
He's also learned that when he acts like he has to go out he actually gets to go out so he's been faking it sometimes too. But I don't mind as long as he isn't peeing inside!
Thanks again!
Nicholas

Rebecca
February 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi, Nicholas...

Glad to hear Dio's been doing well!

To prevent "false alarms", be sure your potty trips are strictly business when he rings the bell to go out. Straight to his potty area for a minute or two, then right back to the house without playing or strolling around the yard.

Keep up the good work!

Dana
February 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi again Nicholas,

Great to hear to hear that Dio is doing so well. What kind of a signal does he give you? Are you ever missing it or is he really obvious about it? Just curious; every dog tends to find their own way of telling you unless you really work on a specific indication. I'm glad to hear you are both working out the communication together.