PDA

View Full Version : House breaking a Pomeranian

scooby
January 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Hi.

I'm wondering if Pomeranians are hard to house break. I've heard people say that and I'm not sure if it's true or not. I have'nt had a dog before and I'm worried since I don't want to get a dog that's stubborn.

Thank you.

Rebecca
January 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hello...

In my experience, Pomeranians aren't a particularly difficult breed to housebreak. Many small breeds have a reputation for being difficult to housebreak, but I tend to think that smaller dogs have more housebreaking issues mostly due to the way they're trained, not because they're born to be bad!

Typically, people don't handle housebreaking a small dog the same way they would a larger dog. Because the puddles and poos are so tiny, the owner doesn't feel the same urgency to housebreak the dog as the owner of a Great Dane would, so the problem is usually allowed to go on longer before the owner gets serious about housebreaking. When there's a little dime-sized pee on the floor people tend to just wipe it up with a tissue and forget about it. When there's a huge urine pond in the living room, owners make an emergency call to the dog trainer for help!

When you get your dog, just start on a good housebreaking program right away and you should be just fine.

I think a Pomeranian would be a good choice, but spend some time researching and meeting dogs before you get one. They're not all the same, so you want to find a dog that fits your individual lifestyle. You might even be able to find an adult dog that's already housebroken that needs a home, which always makes things easier!

If you have any more questions along the way, feel free to ask!