PDA

View Full Version : Another pug puppy problem

superstar11
January 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your help with fixing my puppy's problem of peeing in the bed a few weeks ago.
I have a new problem with her. We had an older male pug come over to the house for a play date and she peed on the floor while he was here. I don't know why she would suddenly pee in the house, because she hasn't had an accident in weeks. Is there a reason she would suddenly not be housebroken when there's another dog in the house? The other dog did pee in the house, but it was after my puppy did, so that wasn't what caused her to make the mistake. Do you have any suggestions to help me fix this problem so it doesn't happen again? I have lots of friends with dogs and I'm worried that I may not be able to have them over if it's going to cause her to start peeing in the house. Thanks.

Dana
January 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear that Rebecca's advice helped with the bed peeing problem. Which part of the advice helped to fix the problem? Did she end up with a UTI or was it just too much freedom, too soon?

Your newest problem may be really simple. A new friend comes over, puppy is excited and forgets she needs to potty. Running, playing, having tons of fun, and suddenly she realizes she needs to go NOW. She's not thinking about her training, but rather getting back into the game asap, so she has an accident. If this is the case, you may just have to take her out at the beginning of a play session to make sure she is empty and more frequently during the time that company is over, just in case.

Another possible option is that the older dog at some point scared her and she peed a little out of submission. There is little you can do about that except keep her empty (so she has less to pee if she does startle). One reassuring note- most puppies urinate submissively some of the time and most of them grow out of it. If it seems that your puppy does a lot of this, you may want to talk to your vet about it prior to spaying. I have heard of some studies that suggest that females spayed too young have more of a tendency to continue with submissive urination into adulthood. If you want to learn more about submissive urination, check out our article (http://thehousebreakingbible.com/training/submissive-urination.htm) covering the topic.

superstar11
January 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think we were just giving her water too late at night when she was peeing in the bed. We stopped that and the problem stopped.

Thanks for your advice about why she peed when my friend's dog was over. To keep her from doing that when dogs come to the house, should I try to have dogs over more so she gets used to it or should I wait until she's older to bring dogs over to play.

Dana
January 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
It's great that you have a nice dog for your puppy to play with. This teaches her good social skills and I think you should continue having him visit whenever you can. Just take the puppy out right before he gets there to make sure she is empty and frequently while he is there to keep her on empty. Watch her closely and if she makes a mistake be ready to stop her and take her outside. EXCEPT- if you think she is being submissive when she pees, do not correct her. Submissive urination does not respond well to correction. Watch her body language for signs that she is urinating submissively. Instead of squatting with her head up (as she normally pees) you should see that her head is down and she looks a little nervous or over-excited instead of stiff and bored. She will likely be in an unusual body posture when peeing if it is submissive urination. Read the submissive urination article (http://thehousebreakingbible.com/training/submissive-urination.htm) if you think this may be what is going on.