PDA

View Full Version : Xylitol Danger!!!



Dana
July 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM
If there is anything dangerous in the world to worry about, I can count on my mom to find it. Here's the forward she sent me tonight. It looks legit, so I think we should join her in worrying about every purse that might contain xylitol sweetened gum or breath mints- do not bring this stuff into your house!

WARNING! To all dog owners pass this on to everyone you can.

Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24# Dachshund,
just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time
to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a
guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of
sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read
that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to
see if xylitol was the ingredient.

I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called our vet.
She said to bring her in immediately.

Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get
there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another
website to figure out the treatm ent. She took Chloe and said they would
induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even
though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose.
The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very
quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens,
even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told
us she would call us.

Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach
contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that=2 0h er blood sugar had dropped from 90 to
59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a
critical care unit operating around the clock.

We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison
control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct
Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood
every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up
with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed,
just as our regular vet had feared.

Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After
her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the
tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage.
Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we
wouldn't even had known why.

Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew
about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone
you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

Check it out at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp)

Rebecca
July 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
This Xylitol stuff is no joke. Yesterday, I got a call from a friend, who was freaking out because her Golden Retriever had a seizure. Turns out the dog had stolen a pack of sugarless gum from the counter and eaten the whole thing.

She got the dog to the vet where they induced vomiting and were beginning treatment, last I heard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay.

I had to assess my own gum-storage habits after that call... although my dogs don't tend to steal and eat stuff, you never know. One thing I realized is that I keep a pack of sugarless gum in one of the cupholders of my car. I suppose, theoretically, that one of my dogs could get to it if they're left in the car for a minute, so it'll now be closed in the glove compartment!

Where do YOU keep your gum?