PDA

View Full Version : A dog stays with his owner for 6 weeks after his death...

Rebecca
August 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM
This is sad, but kind of interesting. This guy's German Shepherd stayed with his body out in the woods for 6 weeks after the guy died. I wonder if it's what we'd all imagine... the ultimate display of canine loyalty... or something else?

It would be interesting to know if there's another behavioral explanation for why dogs sometimes do this... but, until I hear one, I'm going with the man's best friend loyalty thing!

http://www.theage.com.au/world/dog-kept-sixweek-vigil-over-dead-owner-20080813-3v1q.html

Dana
August 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sorry to be the pessimist here, but the story says she kept running to the truck when the people got there. I'm voting that she just didn't know how to drive home.

Rebecca
August 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, you're just terrible. You probably think that's the only reason any of our dogs stick around... it's just too hard to escape without opposable thumbs and the ability to drive!! :p

Tamara
August 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Okay, if it was a suicide, why on earth did the guy take his poor dog with him. That just does not sound right to me:confused1:

Very sad for his family:crying:

I always imagined my dog would love me so much she'd go bring me help....you know the whole Lassey thing "What Jimmy's (Tamara) stuck in the well?"

Dana
August 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It is a very sad story :crying:

I am impressed that a modern dog had enough instincts and ability to feed herself for 6 weeks. Less amazed that she didn't run home to fetch help, Lassie style.

Rebecca
August 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, you have to wonder why he would have had the dog with him, huh? I guess it could be just a lack of forethought about what would become of the dog... I suppose a suicidal person isn't thinking too clearly about such things.

For some folks, their dogs are their best or only emotional support, so maybe that contributed to him feeling he needed to have the dog with him. Sad.

Or somebody else killed the poor guy while he was out walking his dog...