PDA

View Full Version : "Down" Command Question

saddlepotato603
November 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Recently I have been working on the "down" command with my relatively new dog. He is excellent at the sit, stay, paw, and is getting the hang of the "heel" command. However, the "down" is more difficult. I have been working on it for probably a week and a half to two weeks, but he is not obedient about it. He seems to know exactly what I want because every once in a while he will lay down when I tell him, however, he usually sits there stubornly and forces me to put him in the down position. Any pointers? Should I be concerned that he is not listening to me or should I just be more patient?
Thanks,
Kayla :confused1:

Rebecca
November 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'd say be patient about it. Often, lack of compliance with a new command has more to do with a lack of complete understanding that it does with the dog being stubborn.

What method have you been using to teach the command? Are you using treats? There are lots of reasons dogs can have a little extra trouble with this command compared to others, but you should be able to get a reliable result if you're using a method that suits your dog and you don't expect flawless results too soon.

Let us know exactly how you're teaching it and we'll try to give you some tips, although you may need to work with a trainer who can give you some hands-on help to really get the job done.