PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime hysteria

sloan
February 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
bedtime hysteria
I know this is not a housebreaking question, but I hope you can help anyway. Currently Pippi sleeps in her crate in the laundry room with a baby gate. At first I shut the door to the crate at night which resulted in about 45 minutes of crying before going to sleep. When she started to nap in the crate during the day, I started leaving the door to the crate open at night, so she could go potty when she needed to. We have the same routine every night, but she still cries about 45 minutes before calming down to go to sleep. Am I going about this in the wrong way? Also, we are still having trouble with her getting too excited then growling and nipping when she is picked up. I have been holding her close and telling her to settle. The minute she relaxes I tell her "good settle" and put her down. On the way to the floor she always turns her head for one more bite eventhough she has settled. Do I let her get the last word or is there something else I should do. Thanks, Sloan

Dana
February 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi again Sloan,

The crying at night must be tiresome for you and pippi. I would either guess that she isn't sleepy or feels insecure sleeping alone at night. I try to set puppies up as near to my bed as as possible which helps to prevent the insecure crying that is common in young pups. For puppies who are too active at night, I work on reversing their nocturnal tendencies. Keep Pippi active throughout the late afternoon and evening and prevent any napping. I raised a particularly challenging terrier puppy many years ago. I would carry her in the evenings a nd jostle her every time she started to nod off. This was the only thing that got her to sleep at night - by the time I put her in her crate, she was grateful to be alone :) Try one of yhe above ideas and let us know if it helps.

For the nipping as you put her down, could you try sitting with her and when you release her for a good settle just let her go? This way she could jump down on her own and she might not be so inclined to nip as when you put her down. Again, let us know if that helps.