PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to start over?

sloan
March 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Things have been going pretty well with Pippi's potty training. She has been using the Ugodog for a few weeks and has been doing great until the last few days. Her new thing is to poop in the same place in the laundry room (her room) floor. I have cleaned up the area and used an enzyme cleaner to soak the area. Do I need to start over and make her area only the crate, ugodog, and her food bowl with no floor space? I also wondered if those sprays worked that discouraged dogs from pottying in certain areas.

Thanks!

Dana
March 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Hi Sloan,

There are a few things you can try to resolve Pippi's new problem. First, did you wait at least a month of accident free training before expanding her area? If not, you might be right that you should take a step back and make the area smaller again. If she really was accident free for a month. then I would look at some other issues.

Are you keeping the potty area clean enough? You might try to notice if she mostly makes mistakes when the potty is already dirty. That would be a clue that Pippi just doesn't want to get her feet dirty so is picking a new area.

You can also try to feed Pippi in the area where she is making mistakes. Keep the food and water bowls right over the area where she makes mistakes. No one likes to eat where they poo, so this is a great trick for discouraging a dog from reusing a problem area.

I would be reluctant to try any of the sprays. They are meant to be annoying to keep dogs away. In a confined space, they'll probably either be constantly stressing Pippi or she'll get used to the smell and the spray will no longer work.

Keep up the good work and let us know if you decide what the source of Pippi's backslide was.

sloan
March 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I had some time over the weekend to re-arrange Pippi's "room", and I did make it smaller. Not only has that stopped the potty problem, it seems to have made her more secure because she does not fuss as much when she is there. I also think you are right about the potty not being clean enough. Eventhough we are using the ugodog so her feet do not touch the pad, I have noticed that she does not potty over an area on the pad that she has already used. I have been more diligent in putting a fresh pad in there more often. Thanks again for your suggestions. I will keep the idea of putting the food dish over the accident area in mind in case I need that one. :)

Dana
March 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Glad to hear that you and Pippi are back on the right track :thumbup:

sloan
April 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
The potty training continues! I have been giving Pippi some closely supervised floor time, but she has me confused. She has a pretty regular poop routine, but sometimes when she is out of her area, she poops so quickly! I can be looking right at her, and she does not even give any signs that she is about to poop. The next thing you know, the poop is coming out. I always say no very loudly and pick her up quickly, but this does not stop the movement. I feel badly about keeping her in her area until she poops because one of her "times" is right after I get home. She has never pooped while I was holding her, but one time she was sitting in my lap and started to move off of me and was pooping at the same time! Her poop is formed, and we have not changed the food that she is eating. Got any ideas? Oh yea, she does not have accidents in her crate (which she sleeps in at night) or in her "room" that she stays in while we are at work.

Dana
April 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Sloan,

First off, it's great that Pippi is holding it well while in her crate or room- this tells me that she can hold it and wants to be clean. The mistakes she makes are probably the result of being a young, excitable pup. I would guess that she comes out of her area and is so excited that she forgets she needs to go until it is too late. The easiest solution for this is to take her straight from her area to the outside for a nice long walk or romp which will give her time to poop, possibly two or three times before she is totally empty. Of course, for this to work you need to be able to take her out- are you taking her outside for some potty time, too? If you don't want to take her out, you might let her romp inside and take her over the her potty area every minute or so until you are sure she is empty. It sounds like you are doing everything right :thumbup:, so don't lose your motivation. Puppies take their time to grow up and always require more work than people expect. Stick with it and you should continue to see progress. You might find that it helps to keep track of your progress so that when you feel frustrated you can look back a month and see how much Pippi has improved :)

sloan
April 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I have another question. We have been noticing that Pippi seems to like to poop outside. I don't know if you remember, but we are training her on the ugodog. Until recently, she would pee and poop first thing in the morning when I took her out of the crate and put her on the ugodog. Now she pees then starts to jump to get out of her area (she does not bark, so that is nice). If I put her down outside of her area she tries to poop on the floor. If I hold her for a minute then put her back, she will sometimes poop on the ugodog, but some mornings she will not. I can't get ready and watch/hold her so I have been leaving her in her area until she poops, but I feel really bad about that since I am about to leave for the day. I get up at aroung 4:45 am, so I am not going to start taking her outside in the morning. Do you think if I keep to the routine of waiting for her to poop on the ugodog in the morning she will finally get the message? Also, I have been taking her outside in the afternoon when I get home so she can poop and play a little while. Is this too confusing?

I do want to tell you again how much I appreciate your input, and I have recommended your site to everyone that I know. I'm not sure what would be happening at our house if I had not found you. You are awesome!

Dana
April 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Sloan,

Thanks for the compliments, we sure do like to help :blushing:

It really sounds to me like you are on the right track. Leaving her in the area until she poops is a great plan, but it will probably take a while for Pippi to "get it". It will help if you take her out immediately when she poops so she can see the cause and effect relationship.

It would be nice if you could set up the same training before her afternoon romps, so that she sees the pooping gets her great fun time. But, I can imagine that you might be tired and just appreciate that you can take her out for some fun outside time without having to worry about accidents. I would not worry that this will cause a problem in her housebreaking as long as you are usually encouraging the pottying on the UgoDog potty. If she starts holding it to wait for out for outside time, then you may have to take a step back and only take her out after a poop. But, as long as you are not seeing problems from the outside potty/play time, I would say "live it up and enjoy your fun outside puppy time" :biggrin: