PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

tollfam5
June 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi. My name is Brandi and I found this website after we got our new puppy Hugo. He is a 1st generation Labradoodle and he is now 14 wks old. We got him when he was 11wks old and have had a time trying to housetrain! He came from sort of a dirty kennel and I think we are just starting to break some old habits! My husband is also an EXTREME neat freak though, and is too nervous about letting the dog out in the house much. I think we should in order for him to learn. He is doing better and not having many accidents, but he also doesn't get to step out of his confined area.
I have found this website VERY informative and am doing everything it says! Thanks!:thumbup:

Any suggestions?

Rebecca
June 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

I think your neat freak husband may be on the right track! Well, kind of. If Hugo is doing well, not having accidents in his confinement area and going potty outside when you take him out, I'd start giving him very short periods of time (5-15 minutes to start) around the house. I'd do this ONLY with him directly supervised and on-leash and I'd start out by only doing it immediately after he's peed and pooped outside so you know he's empty.

Too much freedom in the house will surely lead to accidents, but NO time spent around the house can also cause problems. You want the puppy to recognize that the whole house is his living area, not just the confinement zone. If he doesn't think of the house as living space, it might as well be outside as far as he's concerned, and he may think it's just fine to go potty there, then go back to his nice clean "home" in the confinement zone.

It's all a matter of finding the right balance. Slow and steady wins the race, though, so don't get carried away and give him too much freedom too soon. Feel free to check back in and post any additional questions in our "Ask the Trainers" forum.

Let us know how it goes!

tollfam5
June 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks! I will probably have lots of questions I will post for you! :biggrin: