PDA

View Full Version : 2nd week...

emolee@mac.com
November 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Every day I've been keeping my eyes on my puppy like a hawk. but obviously there are times when I need to crate her and she has accidents because of poor timing on my part. pretty much every day there is at least 2 accidents... pee and poop.. During the night she's great.. but during the day, she is so unpredictable. I write down her every movement/activity and its getting to be discouraging. I'm not sure whether I'm being impatient or she's just not getting it. today, I took her out 2 times to go pee after she ate... one at 10 min and 1 at 15 min after she ate (crated her inbetween) and she came in after not going to go in the crate... what in the world? Can't figure it out... sometimes she doesn't even whine to go.. she just goes.. I clean the floor with enzymatic cleaner and everything... I feed and give her drink at the same times... sometimes she eliminates both 1 and 2 15 min after eating.. other times, its not until 1 hour or 48 min later.. I feel like I'm constantly on her... now when do I expect for her to start having a regular schedule? I take her out after meals, before and after naps, after play and chewing, etc..

Rebecca
November 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
A couple of questions... are crate accidents the only accidents she's having or has she been having them around the house? When you take her outside and she doesn't go potty, what DOES she do? Does it seem like she gets distracted? Is she running around playing, lying down to take a nap, looking nervous or scared, trying to play with you?

If she's having accidents right after an unsuccessful trip outside, we have to figure out what's stopping her from going while she's out...

Hang in there!

emolee@mac.com
November 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
so when she has accidents, its both... in her crate and out of her crate. When she goes outside, I am only out there for 3-4 min and she's playing, sniffing and eating leaves and so I'll just bring her in because she seems distracted. I've placed her right where she normally goes potty so she can smell.. but then she'll go under bushes and then get angry at me for pulling on the leash and start attacking the leash or me.

Rebecca
November 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'd try to take her to the most distraction-free area possible and just stand in that one spot with her on her leash. If she's biting the leash, I'd get a light chain leash, which is much less fun for puppies to bite (I don't love chain leashes in general, but in a case like this, they can be the path of least resistance for solving the problem).

Don't engage with her in ANY way when you're outside... totally ignore her, even if she's acting crazy, until she gets down to business. After she goes potty, let her run and play in the yard. Most puppies figure out pretty quickly that the fun only comes after they empty out.

If she's having accidents in the house, be sure you're supervising her VERY closely so you can catch her, correct her and get her outside right away. If she's having any accidents you don't catch, you're not watching her carefully enough.

This article about dogs who have accidents in their crates (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/crate-accidents.htm) might help, too...