PDA

View Full Version : Housebreaking in Apartment Building

Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hi, we have a 10 week old wheaten terrier that we're working on housebreaking. She still has occasional accidents, primarily in the middle of the night.

She doesn't walk well on a leash yet...is it OK for me to carry her outside? We live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building and would have to take the elevator down with her because she's too small to walk down the stairs. It just takes too long for her to get outside without carrying her and she pees in the hallway, not to mention it would be really frustrating trying to get her to walk with us in the middle of the night.

Am I creating a bad habit for her???

Rebecca
December 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
No, I don't think you'll create a bad habit by carrying her out. That's standard operating procedure with small puppies in apartment buildings, since we don't want the puppy to stop and have an accident in the hallway or elevator.

As she gets older, she'll be excited to get outside and take a walk, so she should do fine walking down on leash. I've never seen a dog that continues to expect to be carried, so I think it'll be fine.

Just be sure that she's well socialized and enjoys being outside, since the only thing that could cause a problem in the long run is if she doesn't WANT to go outside.

Keep us updated on her progress!