PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy - crate issues

ebledsoe
January 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
We got our new puppy on January 1st. She is an 8-week-old Kuvasz puppy. She is a very sweet, mild mannered girl. We only have a couple of "problems" with her. The first is that she absolutely hates the crate. She will not enter the crate on her own - no matter what. We keep the crate in our room at night, but bring it down in the main living area of the house during the day so she has a place to hide from our two children. She never willingly goes in there. We place her there at night and she howls most of the night. We have covered the crate with a blanket and we play a soothing sounds CD that the breeder gave to us. Neither help her out. I would like some assistance acclimating her to the crate. Tonight will be our third night with her. We are going to give her a peanut butter filled bone to chew on to see if that will help her out. We are open to other suggestions.

The second problem we have with her is that for the last two nights, she has pooped in her crate. As you know, this is a yucky mess to wake up to at 2:30 a.m. Last night, I took her food away at 8:30 p.m. She went out for the last time around 11:00 p.m., but she did not poop. Instead, she pooped in her crate around I guess that is one of the problems (that she did not poop on her last time out). Today, I took her food away at 7:30 p.m. in the hopes that she does not poop at all during the early morning hours. I wake up to take her out every 2 hours. She will pee each time I take her outside, but never poop. She will poop during the day without problems.

Thank you for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Rebecca
January 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
Congrats on the new puppy... I'm sure an 8 week old Kuvasz puppy is ADORABLE!! :)

There are a few articles on our site that answer most of your questions... if you haven't already done so, you'll want to read our article about acclimating your puppy to the crate, our article about dogs who bark in their crate and our article about dogs who have accidents in their crates. You'll find lots of info there, then you can check back in with any specific questions. You'll find those articles in the "getting started" and "housebreaking" areas of the training section of our website.

These problems aren't unusual with new puppies, so don't get discouraged! Check out those articles then check back in with us and we'll get this girl straightened out!

ebledsoe
January 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Rebecca. We tried acclimating the puppy to the crate using the first few methods outlined in the articles, but the pup just does not want to be in there. Last night, I put her in there with a new, crate only, treat and she actually stayed mostly quiet during the night. She would whimper on and off, but she did not yelp and holler like she did the previous two nights. So, I think we are finding success there. We are still using the blanket and the music CD for her.

She also did not poop in her crate at night, so I was relieved about that. I tried to take her out one last time around 10:45 p.m., but she refused to poop outside. I was worried we would have a repeat of the two previous nights, but she kept the crate dry.

Now I have another question, my husband took the puppy outside at 2:45 a.m. and she peed. I woke up to take her outside at 4:30 (she was whimpering a bit) and she just wanted to play. So, I brought her inside and put her back in the crate. I woke up at 6:40 and took her out. She peed and pooped then. Do you think she can go 4 hours already or did I just get lucky? She will be 9 weeks old on January 7th, and i know the articles say I should go 3 hours at that point. When do I know whether she really needs to go or she just wants attention/play?

Thank you!

Rebecca
January 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
With the overnight stuff, I'd say better safe than sorry. At her age, if she's whimpering, you should take her out. Be sure not to play with her at all when she goes out at night... if she doesn't get down to business, take her back inside and put her back in her crate.

You can prevent her from wanting to wake up in the middle of the night to play by making sure she's exhausted when she goes to bed. Be sure she has a lot of activity in the evening and don't let her nap... most puppies like to snooze all evening, then they're ready to rock-n-roll at 3am! :ohmy: