PDA

View Full Version : Housetraining my 11 Week Old Morkie

Precious Ava
January 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Rebecca,

Firstly, I must say THANK YOU for such an amazingly resourceful site. I've not found anything like it!

I got my 11 week old Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie), Ava 2 weeks ago. She is 2lbs now, and won't grow to be more than 5lbs (or so I was told). I've never owned an animal before so we are breaking eachother in so to speak, :001_cool: but I'm in love with her and want to do the best for her.

I think I made a mistake letting her sleep in my bed for the first 10 days, and her wiggling and chewing was very disturbing for me. Even on the first night, she didn't cry at all. I've now decided that it is best she sleep in a small crate in my room. Of course, she cried all night (even though I followed all the tips you've given). I kept her in there anyways as to not give into her demands, hoping she gets used to it.

My question for you is:

I leave her in a larger crate with a pee pad and a blanket while I'm at work during the day (7hrs). She is an inside dog, and has taken to the pee pad really well, so there isn't alot of issue there. I wanted to make sure it was ok to have her sleep in a separate smaller crate (as I'm doing now), or if that will confuse her as to which crate is her "home". The nighttime crate has no pee pad; I take her to the pee pad crate throughout the night to do her business.

Also, since she's in her crate all day, I feel bad about putting her in there sometimes in the evening (for chill time) and then locking her in it overnight.

Any advice is appreciated!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs157.snc3/18472_269857105691_523870691_5012448_2131223_n.jpg

Rebecca
January 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM
OH. MY. GOD. She is the cutest puppy on earth! :wub:

First, a simple question... why the smaller crate at night? Things might be a little easier if you had her in the larger crate with the pads overnight.

If you don't want to do that, I'd try having her in the smaller crate and starting off with it on your bed. If she does okay with that, have it on a chair next to your bed, then move the chair farther and farther away every few nights. Once you've gotten her far enough from the bed on the chair, she should tolerate being away from the bed on the floor. This trick usually works!

Also, be sure she's exhausted at bedtime... puppies often want to nap all evening, then they're bursting with energy overnight. Try to get her some good exercise and playtime in the evening and if she tries to nap in the evening, wake her up!

Keep us updated!

(Sorry for the late response... broke my toe and all this limping is slowing me down... I'm behind on everything!!)

Precious Ava
January 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear you are injured :( I hope you catch up on stuff soon!!!

The reason I don't have the larger crate in my room at night is because it's simply too large, and carrying it back and forth would be a hassle to commit to. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

It's going REALLY well, actually. She doesn't seem confused at all, and now goes into both crates during the day/evening all by herself to have some alone time (which breaks my heart just a little... she needs a breather from ME???!) :p

I've noticed that she is peeing in her little nighttime crate once in awhile, even though I'm taking her to her pad every 3 hrs. I assume this is something she will grow out of as she gets older, and can hold it for longer.

There is no crying at night in her crate anymore by the way... so for all of you that are frustrated-- success at 11 weeks can happen! Just stick to your guns, and don't give in! It will pay off. Now if I could only stop her from the constant biting......... :ohmy:

Oh, and thanks; she is way cute!!! I could stare at her for hours :wub:

Rebecca
January 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Glad to hear she's doing better. Are you limiting water a few hours before bedtime? If your vet says it's okay to do so, that can help to eliminate those remaining overnight accidents in the crate.