PDA

View Full Version : Puppy waking/crying at 3.30am, taking to toilet, but continues to cry until morning

Annabel
April 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Hi Rebecca & Dana,

I have a new 8 week old lakeland terrier. I got him 4 days ago. He is near perfect in the day, with 90% of toilets are outside and him getting on brilliantly with my 3 year old miniature schnazuer. We are continuing to kitchen crate train him as the breeder kept him and his brother in a kitchen crate. He is happy to sleep in his crate during the day. During the evening we do not give him food/water after 6pm, we take him for lots of toilet breaks and attempt to keep him awake as long as possible. At about 10pm it is impossible to keep him awake any longer so we put him to sleep in the crate. We leave the radio on. The first night he woke crying at about 3.30 am, i took him to toilet, then put him back with a hot water bottle, he cried for an hour but eventually fell asleep until I woke him at 7am. The second night again he woke crying at around 3.30am, i took him to toilet and put him back but he continued to cry until we went down in the morning. The third and fourth night were the same. On the fourth night tried leaving my older dog asleep next to the crate and used pheromone spray.

I have read about putting the crate in the bedroom but I would rather not because as an adult dog I wold like him to sleep in the kitchen.

I have read that it is best to pre-empt the puppy waking and set my alarm before, wake him, take him to toilet, so he then learns that i wont respond to his crying and instead set the routine.

I asked the breeder and he told me to completely ignore the puppy crying and not take him to the toilet at night at all.

Please do not think that I am getting annoyed with the puppy. I understand that it is completely normal for young puppies to cry but I dont want him to get into a routine of waking/crying at 3.30am until the morning.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Annabel

Rebecca
April 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hi, Annabel... congrats on the new puppy! :biggrin:

Although having the crate in the bedroom makes things easier, it's perfectly fine to have it in another area of the house if you don't want puppy to get in the habit of sleeping in your room.

I disagree with the breeder's advice about not taking the puppy out all night... for a new puppy at 8 weeks, that's a little hardcore for my taste!

I'd suggest you follow the advice in our "Surviving the Night with your New Puppy" article, which outlines exactly how you can teach your pup to sleep all night with minimal drama. http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/surviving-night.htm

Let us know how it goes!!