PDA

View Full Version : Yorkie pup peeing in his crate.

NJCherub216
August 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi...I've had my yorkie pup since he was 10 wks. old. I've had him a little over a month and he was doing so well sleeping for about 6 or 7 hrs. in his crate overnight. When he awoke and started whining I would take him out and he would go right to his pee pad. I thought this was great. Then he started waking me up at 3:30am or 4:30 am yelping. I immediately go to the crate to let him out and he already peed in the crate. This now happens every night. I let him out in the kitchen to go to his pee pad and he does nothing just sits there. I did make the mistake to then taking him to bed with me and he would sleep until 8:30 am. I wouldn't get any further sleep because I was afraid of rolling over on him. I am so tired. He also used to eat in the morning around 8 am and now when I get up he goes directly to his bed and sleeps some more and doesn't eat. I feed him around 11 pm at night because I know Yorkie's can't go too many hours without eating to avoid hypoglycemia, so by 8 am I feel too many hrs. passed by so I wind up force feeding him a few mouthfuls to get some food into him. He won't eat on his own except for the kibbles. I need some advice on how to get him on a schedule.

Rebecca
August 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you're doing some pad training with him, so that leaves you with a good option to get back to getting some SLEEP! What do you think of the idea of having him sleep in a pen with his crate (or other bedding area) and his pads, so he has the option of going potty at night if he needs to?

This would be the easiest way to address your current problem... if you want to give it a try, read the articles in the indoor potty training section of our site, which will give you details on how to set the pen up, etc.

His late meal might be contributing to the problem, so I'd suggest talking to your vet to see if it would be safe to make that last meal a bit earlier. You could also ask him if it would be okay to give him some NutriCal (a high calorie goo for dogs!) instead of a full meal, so he can get some calories without having a tummy full of food. The NutriCal can also help at times when he doesn't have an appetite but you're concerned that he needs some sustenance!