PDA

View Full Version : Housebreaking Breakdown

suzunow
December 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hi all - I have a 1 y.o. male Cavalier who has been the perfect gentleman and housebroken for the last 4-5 months. Last month I adopted a 11 m.o. female Cav/Pom rescue, who (I learned) is not housebroken. I've been working with her, and I think she's getting the idea, but in the last couple of days, my male Cav has had a couple of accidents - one was urinating on my bed (which he *never* did before), and the other was this morning, when he pooped in my living room. Is this a normal, territorial kind of thing? Is he trying to tell me that I'm not paying enough attention to him? Is there anything specific I can/should do, or just keep working with both of them? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

Rebecca
December 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi, Sue...

Sorry to hear that... it's always a bummer when your housebroken dog starts having accidents. :(

Hard to say what's causing it... certainly having the new dog in the house can contribute to this kind of problem, since he may be smelling her accidents in the house and thinking the house is now an acceptable potty area and there may have been some changes in his schedule since she's there that are throwing him off.

I wouldn't panic... just keep both dogs on a schedule and tighten up on your supervision to be sure nobody has a chance to get in the habit of pottying inside. Of course, you'll want to be sure to clean up with odor neutralizer and you may want to feed your Cav his meals on the spot where he had the accident for a week or so... that's a good way of reminding him that the area isn't a toilet.

I hope the kids get on the right track soon... keep us updated! :)