PDA

View Full Version : Need a litte help/encouragement

lspreack
August 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hello All!
Wonderful site with some excellent information.

9 week old lab cross puppy who we adopted less than a week ago. She is calm and will sleep in her crate, and has not had an accident in her crate.

She will actually go out on her own on occasion, but does have an accident in the house usually a couple times a day. As far as I know, she has not had one out of our sight, and the minute I see the tinkle squat I give a loud noise and then puppy airlift her outside. She does not hide her piddles, and was looking right at my fiance on the last accident.

We haven't started the umbilical training, but I think tomorrow I will pick up a long lead and a harness or collar. She is on a feeding schedule and we take her outside as soon as she leaves the crate.

My question is did we expect too much out of her too soon? We got so excited and praised her like crazy when she let herself out of the dog door to pee and poop. I don't understand why she would go potty in the house the next time, why the inconsistency (must be her human parents)? At 9 weeks of age is that still too young to be trusted to know what to do each time? Should I encourage her to go out the doggy door on her own and then follow her outside w/ treats and encouragement, or should I continue w/ the puppy airlift and putting her in the spot until she is older and maybe more consistent? Also, which is preferred a collar or harness for umbilical training...is a 10 foot lead too long? I'm so confused and want to be the best pack leader for this little girl. Help and advice is appreciated.

Rebecca
August 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Congrats... sounds like you're off to a pretty good start with your puppy! :thumbup:

I definitely think you may be expecting too much too soon, though... at her age, she can't be expected to consistently take herself outside through the dog door, even if you get lucky and she does it once in a while. I agree that umbilical cord training would be a good method to use with her at this point... a 10 foot leash is most likely too long, though... a 6-footer is probably best. Any kind of collar or harness is fine for the umbilical training.

I assume you've read our dog door training article (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/dog-door-training.htm)... when your girl is alone or unsupervised, you should keep her in a pen just inside the dog door so she has a very small indoor area and access to the dog door. That way, she gets in the habit of taking herself out through the door and as she gets older, you can gradually give her more space so she eventually learns to go from anywhere in the house to take herself out the door to potty.

Keep us updated on how she's doing!! :)

lspreack
August 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice