PDA

View Full Version : What should I not expect?

Dkinsey
August 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
First, I want to thank you for this site! It has been extremely helpful and I even told my sister about it who has a new yorkie and she loves it as well!!! I don't know what I would have done without it!!! OK, let me give you a little backgroung info...i'm the new mommy to a 8 week old pom, Prince. I've had him now for about 2 weeks and so far he's been doing great! :thumbup: One of the biggest concerns that I has was that he and my cat, Chloe, would not get along but shes coming around as well. I've given up on the quest to keep him away from her food. OMG what do they put in that stuff to make it so attractive to dogs? He could have a bowl full but if he gets a chance to run to hers hes off like a little lightening bolt. LOL

I currently work and my schedule is more of a mid-day noon til 8 so I've had no other choice but to use puppy pads when I'm away. I also live too far from work to be able to come by on my lunch. Prince has been using the pads very well and we also go outside for potty time in the mornings a couple of time before work and then a couple of times in the evening as well. I guess what I want to know is if I'm sending him mixed signals? He apparently has no problems using both and for some reason it seems like he perfers to poop outside.

When I'm away I have him in the bathroom with his crate and a baby gate. When he's out while I'm home we use the cord training and when he has successfully emptied I give him a few minutes off the leash as a reward (supervised of course). At what point can I begin to take away the pads? I know its not a perfect science but I was just wondering when I could expect him to hold it successfully. Also, am I doing something wrong? What I mean is that since he's gated off in the bathroom I havn't been closing him up in his crate. I know this is probably not best but I guess I'm a softie :blushing:, so I wanted to see if this is bad for his housebreaking. He has no problem sleeping in the crate and sometimes after playing he will even go into the crate on his own and go to sleep.

Lastly, do you have any creative ideas on how to tire this little fireball out? We do go for walks, a short one in the morning and a longer one in the evenings but it's been really hard after the first week to get him in a calm state. I know he's a puppy but I just want to make sure he's getting enough exercise to be healthy and happy. We also play fetch inside and I make sure I rotate his toys to keep it interesting. Oh and I forgot...is all of this nipping at my feet and hands normal? I know it's only play to him but it's beginning to hurt a little. LOL! I tell him no and stop but nothing helps, not even redirecting him to his chew toys...when I try to get him to focus on them his eyes are glued on my fingers. Any suggestions you have would help!
Thanks!!!:)

Rebecca
August 31st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering... I'm having some technical problems and just realized a bunch of posts weren't showing up as new posts, so I missed them... ugh!!

Sounds like Prince's training is coming along well so far, so you're on the right track. Since you're using the pads only because you're away from the house all day, you can most likely eliminate them when he's 5 or 6 months of age. I'd suggest that when he reaches that age (or when you think it's time, since it can vary depending on the dog), you start crating him when you'll be gone from the house for a couple of hours at a time, but still leave him with his pads if you'll be gone for the full day. Once he's getting the idea of staying in the crate for short periods while you're gone, you can just go cold turkey and start crating him when he's alone even for the longer periods (within reason, of course... 8 hours max!). During that time, you'll need to go back to umbilical cord training for a while, since he may still have a tendency to try to go potty where his pads used to be. Essentially, you'll just be starting over with a traditional crate training/umbilical training program, but it'll go faster due to his age and the fact that he'll already have some idea of what housebreaking is about from the training you're doing between now and then.

I don't think you necessarily need to start closing him in his crate now, especially if he seems to like going into it at this point. I'd wait until you're about 2 weeks away from starting his crate training, then work on teaching him to be closed in the crate for short periods... our crate acclimation article (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/crate-acclimation.htm) might help with that project.

The play biting is normal puppy behavior, so it's nothing to worry about, but a puppy class or a private session with a trainer would be a good idea so you can get some hands on help to figure out when the best way of eliminating the biting would be... it depends on the puppy's temperament, so usually in-person help is the best way to go with that one.

You'd probably have great success tiring him out by using a toy on a string... I'm sure you've seen the cat toys that look like a fishing pole with a little toy at the end... they work GREAT for wearing little dogs out. However, I'd be sure to replace the cat toy with a little dog toy to make sure he can't chew it up and choke on it.

Again, I'm SO sorry for the delay... hope the above helps with the issues you've been having with Prince! :)

karlaa
May 25th, 2012, 02:37 AM
intersting and vast post which i like. karla