PDA

View Full Version : Indoor potty training help!!

CJCarr
February 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I have a 15 week old yorkie-poo and I live in a condo with a ton of stairs. It is highly advantagous for me to train her indoors. I have been using a litter box with a puppy pad in it and confining her area. I have two questions though...
One..when I work i must sometimes leave her for slightly over 4 hours. She was never able to hold it that long so I attached a smaller crate to the side of her larger crate and put a puppy pad in the smaller crate. When I am away, she uses that fairly well and keeps her sleep area clean. Is that okay?
Secondly, I have a confined area in the main part of our home, (larger than her crate) where her litterbox/puppy pad is. She does okay in there but is disastrous outside of there. The thing is, I live in a condo with 4 stories. Is it okay to have separate potty areas for her on each floor if I do it the same way, confining her by the potty when she is on that floor or am I just confusing her? She is only 3lbs and I can't imagine her ever wanting to walk up two or three flights of stairs to use the potty. I want her to know that a litter box with a puppy pad is okay but nothing else. Am I trying to teach her too much?
Also, I just read about the wizdog on your site. If i switch to that, will it completely confuse her???

Rebecca
February 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'll answer your last question first... I wouldn't recommend changing from the litter box and pad setup you've been using if you're having some success with it. The Wizdog would probably work fine for you, but I think making a change with a dog who's already confused might not be the best idea at this point.

I think it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job with your training so far. I'd definitely have a clearly defined potty area on each level of your home... that will make things easier for the puppy and for you. The confinement areas you're using sound fine, so I think you should continue with that for now and just plan to expand her area gradually as she matures and improves with her potty training.

I suspect that the biggest problem you're having is a supervision problem when she's outside of her confinement areas. At 15 weeks, I'd suggest that she have no unsupervised free time in the house at all. Read our articles on umbilical cord training (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/umbilical-cord-training.htm) and the puppy airlift (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/puppy-airlift.htm) technique. These will help you to get on track with supervision so you can prevent accidents outside of the litter box.

For the first couple of weeks, it might make sense to carry your puppy to her box when it's time for a potty trip, but after that initial period, you should start to let her walk with you to her box so she learns the path she needs to take when it's time for her to go potty. That will help her to start getting there on her own.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

CJCarr
February 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thank you for your reply. You are correct, when she is semi-supervised she has accidents. It happens SO fast. she does well in her confined area, so i think she has it, then bam, no way. I found the site to be very helpful because it spelled out timeframes for me. ONE MONTH accident free before giving her more space. The person i bought her from told me 3 days to potty train, and that she could be left for 8 hours at a time. Talk about a dog buyer not doing enough homework....:)

Rebecca
February 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ahhh, the 3 day housebreaking myth! It's incredibly rare to find a dog who's truly housebroken in 3 days, but a lot of people seem to be spreading that one around!

Just give your puppy a clean slate and start over with your new supervision plan in place. With a little time, consistency and patience, she'll do fine!