PDA

View Full Version : what to do when gone a while?

motleyb
December 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hi! We are new dog owners. Our yorkie is about 2-3 years old and we've had to do some tweaking with the house training. We're making progress but my question is what sort of plan should we have when we know we are going to be gone for more hours than normal? During a regular day hubby is home at lunch to let dog out and then kids get home at 3:30 so he has ample opportunity to get outside.

One solution I have thought of is to set up an area in the basement (a "play yard"?) where we could put food/water and then if he potties no big deal. It's very seldom that we are all gone for most of the day and we do have neighbors that have helped but I hate to wear out out welcome. My main concern is that we would be undoing all the work we've done so far. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Rebecca
December 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the new dog! :)

Depending on the length of time you're thinking about being gone, you may not need to give your dog an indoor potty option... most adult dogs are able to hold it for 8 hours once they're settled in and on a schedule. If you need to be gone longer than that or you think he genuinely can't hold it, then I think the basement option would be a good idea (if you can't do a doggie door to a secure yard).

Do you know anything about his housebreaking history? A lot of people with small dogs teach them to use potty pads, so you might find he already understands that, which would be great! That might be a good way to start the training, then we can have another little chat if he doesn't seem to know he's supposed to go potty on the pads.

You can read more about how to get the job done in my indoor potty training article (http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/indoor-potty-training.htm).

Hope this helps! :)

MariaElena
June 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
When it comes to preparing them for some alone time, itís best to always keep your dog exercised and regularly active. This will help reduce anxiety when alone, not to mention the fact that letting out that energy positively reduces the chances that they would use it negatively on your things.

You must also set the scene just right. You donít have to create a magnificent performance, and basically, you donít want to make an entrance or exit. Leave calmly as though nothing were different at all. You donít want to get your dog all excited and then leave him or heíll notice that something is very different. Simply pat your dog on the head and soothingly tell him to be good and youíll be back.

If you are overwhelmingly concerned about leaving your dog alone for the first time, consider the option of having someone check on them. A friend or neighbor could stop by and take a look in to make sure they arenít doing something they arenít supposed to do.

If youíre leaving your dog alone for the first time, itís important that you take measures to ensure they not only feel safe and secure, but can also keep their mind active with something to do while youíre away. Be sure to prepare your dog for alone time by making them comfortable and acting like nothing has even changed. After all, youíll be back soon, and thatís what matters most to them.