Thread: Barking in the AM

Default Barking in the AM

Hi,

We have a yorkie that will be 6 months old later this month. The only time she barks is early in the morning before everyone wakes up. We put her in a "penned" area around a doggie door at night (so she isn't barking because she has to go to bathroom). My only guess is that she wants someone to let her out and play with her. I know that the best advice is to ignore her, but we have two elementary aged children that need their sleep so we can't just let her "bark it out". Do you have any advice on what we can do to get her to not bark in the mornings? Letting her out to "roam" the house isn't an option because we are having house training issues with her (I already posted another thread about that).
    Thank you for your help and ideas!!

Signed,
    Tired in Arizona

You might want to implement some of the methods outlined in our article about dogs who bark in their crates.http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com...te-barking.htm

I'd be sure to have your girl worn out at night, too, so she sleeps as late as possible. Be sure she gets plenty of evening activity and don't let her snooze too much in the evenings. You may also find it helpful to leave some interesting chew toys in her pen with her so she has something to do in the morning when she wakes up other than barking!

Another thing that can help with early risers is not feeding them breakfast first thing in the morning... they often fuss because they know if they can wake you up, you'll feed them right away. Try to wait a while after waking up in the morning before giving her breakfast and you may see a reduction in the morning antics!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!