Thread: Housebreaking two pups at once using doggie door

Smile Housebreaking two pups at once using doggie door

My Dad died this year, then my dog died, then my other dog died. Now I am in the process of foreclosure and I couldn't take the depression and the house being so quite so I got two more Poms.

I am not use to getting two dogs at once. The other dog I had that was the second dog was rescued and already housebroke. So, now I am in the midst of trying to move and dealing with a lot of other heavy issues and these puppies at least give me some joy.

At first I blocked an area in the TV room so they would have some room to play but also have access to doggie door. I did that in the past with one dog and he got trained but that is NOT happening now. They have NO problem going through the doggie door and they do their messes outside part of the time but the rest of the time the just do it inside. If I put a pad down they will have a tendincey to do it there but a lot of times they pick up the pad and start playing with it and tear it apart or lay on it.

I then got a crate and put both their beds inside and faced it to where they could go through the doggie door. They still use the doggie door but when it rains forget it! They will even poop in their crate.

Plus, I take them out of the crate sometimes because they cry so much and play but I don't have a lot of time to play that's why I got two of them and they play together a LOT! I feel guilty if I leave them in their too long. Then I have a friend that comes over that says let them out. I can see now by reading what is on this site that I have been a little bit too permissive. I am willing to put in the time because I know it's not forever, they WILL learn but I need a game plan. Here are my questions:

How much time should I spend time with them each day playing with them considering my limited time? I will do it anyway.

When I go out with them and they urinate but they don't do number two is it safe to let them be out of the crate if I am watching them? I guess I made a mistake and felt like if I was in the room I was watching them so I know that if I can't keep my eyes on them literally every second I have to crate them.

What is a reasonable schedule to have them on? They are about a little over 3 months old now. How often should I go out with them? What do I do at night when I'm asleep? When they go out on their own I don't always know. Is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, but I'm glad to hear that the Pom Twins are bringing some much needed joy (aside from the potty training issues, of course!).

It sounds to me like you're on the right track, for the most part. The crate up against the dog door should be a very effective first step in teaching them to take themselves outside using the doggie door. If you haven't already done so, check out my dog door training article, which will give you some additional helpful info. The rain is a pain in the butt situation when housebreaking, but there are things you can do to help with that... getting an outdoor canopy (something like this) to give them a dry area to potty in can be a HUGE help, as can spending time playing with them, walking them, etc. in the rain so they don't think it's scary.

When they're in the house with you, you need to be a PSYCHO about supervision, especially with two little beasties to keep an eye on. The methods outlined in my umbilical cord training and puppy airlift articles will help with tightening up on your supervision. If the pups have peed but not pooed, it's okay to have them hang out with you in the house as long as you're watching them like a hawk, since poos usually involve some warning signals that you don't always get with those quick little pee accidents, so you'll likely be able to catch them and get them outside if they look like they're about to go. Just be sure that if you see suspicious sniffing, circling or other signals that they might be about to go that you spring into action and get them outside STAT!!

Hope this helps... keep me updated on their progress!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Oops! Forgot to answer your question about how much time you should spend playing with them... probably the easiest way for me to answer is to say that you should have them with you (outside of their crate/dog door setup) as much as you're able to! You really only need to have them in their confinement area only when you're away from home or otherwise unable to supervise them. You don't need to be playing with them the whole time, of course, but just hanging out with them makes a big difference!

That being said, it's perfectly fine to put them in their confinement area sometimes if you just need a "sanity break"... just keep in mind that the more time they spend with you, the more secure they'll be and the better their behavior will tend to be!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Smile A few more questions

Thanks Rebecca for your very helpful information. I like the idea of going outside and playing with them in the rain so they aren't scared. What I have been doing is having either newspaper or doggies pads so if they feel to scared they go on that instead. Do you think I should remove it?

Sometimes I want to take them up to my room and I've had a doggie pad. They use it some. In the past, with my dogs that died they knew to go on the pad or go outside. If I think I'm not going to be able to go downstairs to the dog door for awhile should I just use a pad?

When I am in my office and I want them with me I am facing my computer so it's hard to watch them constantly but if I don't have them there with me they won't end up getting as much time with me. Should I just take them out every hour in that case? Should I push them through the dog door? Usually, I say "Let's go outside and I go through my door and they go through their door.

As far as the umbilical cord training since I have two dogs it might be a little tricky so I don't end up tripping but I think the concept is great.

Thanks for the great artilces. I haven't seen as many informative articles before. I will try these things and I look forward to progressing!

Thanks Again!!
    Claudia

Hi, Claudia...

I think doing partial outdoor and partial indoor potty pad training is perfectly fine if you intend to permanently allow them to use the pads as an option. If you really want them trained to go outside only, though, I'd avoid using the pads.

I think you should continue walking outside then calling them through the door for a while... pushing them through is also fine, but only if it doesn't stress them out.

Depending how big your little Pomlets are, you may be able to use my laundry basket trick in your office... just get the biggest laundry basket you can find that has nice, high edges and you'll be able to have them hang out in there right next to you while you're at your desk. Make it nice and cushy in there and give them some toys and chewies... it's a great way to hang out with them more while not risking accidents! They'll try to climb out at first, but if you just gently stop them each time, most dogs will give in pretty quickly about staying in the basket.

How old are the beasties?
    Rebecca