Thread: 12 week old puppy poops frequently

1. Default 12 week old puppy poops frequently

Skye is an 11 week old Border Collie. At night she has a crate but because she poops at least 2 times a night we have an area she can access easily next to her sleep crate with wood shavings. I am afraid to confine her for the whole night in her sleep crate in case she fouls her bed. Or am I being overly alarmed and she will be able to hold it.
    Also her stools are soft and smelly and she will defecate at least 5 to 8 times in 24 hrs. She is currently eating a high quality kibble with no vegetable fillers. She also tries to eat whatever she thinks she wants outside and we live on a farm. I just took her out and she peed and pooped outside. Great, but within 5 mins of coming in she pooped on the floor. How can I ever house break a pup that poops so much? What am I doing wrong?

Puppies can be big-time poopers as far as frequency goes, so that number of poops per day doesn't necessarily set of any alarm bells for me, but the fact that they're soft and smelly makes me think something's gotta change here! I assume you've had your vet check her out and look at a stool sample? If not, you should definitely do that right away to rule out any medical issues that may be contributing to her problem.

Once you're certain there's not anything going on medically, I'd consider a food change. Even if you're feeding a high-quality food, not every dog will necessarily do well on it, so it can sometimes take some trial and error to figure out what works best for your pup. If you got her from a breeder, you might want to find out what food she was on as a pup and give that a shot, since the breeder probably knows what works well for his/her dogs. Of course, any food change should be done gradually to avoid having even worse digestive issues from a drastic change.

Overfeeding can also cause soft, frequent stools, so be sure you're not being overly generous with the food! Also, you may want to consider limiting treats and edible chew bones until you can figure out what's up with her tummy.

I know it's virtually impossible to control everything that goes into her mouth outside, but try to supervise her as closely as you can for now so you can be sure she's not snacking on something outdoors that's upsetting her stomach.

You'll need to be extra-patient with her housebreaking, since soft stools are harder to control, even if she's trying to be a good girl! I think you're on the right track with allowing her access to an area where she can potty overnight instead of crating her for now. Once things firm up, you'll be able to go to a crate training program with her. Make sure you praise her like crazy when she goes outside and if she sometimes does double poops like she did right before you posted (one outside, then another one inside), you may benefit from keeping her outside a little longer on her potty trips to make sure she has the opportunity to fully empty out.

Some schedule changes may be in order if the above doesn't help and this is still happening after a couple of weeks, so check back in if this continues and I'll be happy to give you some more suggestions.

Hang in there!!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!