Thread: about to be a new mom

you're right, the pen doesn't have a door -- so I've made sure to set up wee-wee pads and now a food and water bowl outside of it, as well, so that she can feel comfortable inside and outside of her pen. and i do see what you mean about waiting until 16 weeks for an expansion -- i definitely don't want her to be confused too soon! thanks for the advice on that

now, what about play-time expansion? as i mentioned, she currently plays with me (and guests) in the room where her exercise pen is, with the door closed. id LOVE her to be able to play in the living room as well -- is it too soon for that, too? should i test her out in there to see whether she knows to come back to the wee-wee pad to go potty?

thanks for all your help! your methods are working wonderfully for me, so im hanging on to your every word!

I've got to tell you, I'm a big believer in the slow, steady approach. I'd be inclined to keep doing exactly what you've been doing for a few weeks, then start having her in the living room for playtime if she continues to do well.

When you start having her in the living room with you, she may not catch on right away that she should still go to her papers to go potty, so be sure that you walk with her over to the papers in the beginning so she gets used to walking the path to her potty area when she's in that part of the house.

Be patient... you'll be glad you did!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

It does take most dogs quite a while to hunt out their potty area from all over the house. Make sure you are really careful as you venture further from the current "safety zone". Remember, slow and steady wins the race

Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

My, that's a large turtle.
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

He won the race- he's on top of the world.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Quote Originally Posted by joviandp View Post
    lucy's finally here! she is an absolute joy. silly, fun, happy, playful, sweet, and GORGEOUS.

i have been doing the puppy airlift method which is working beautifully. she's only 9 weeks old now and nearly fully understands what to do when i tell her "go potty." basically, i have her in an exercise pen, but her crate is IN the pen -- i just leave the crate door open for her, since i work during the day. she seems to get it just fine -- she sleeps in her crate during the day (since the breeder said that's the crate she was raised in, and loves it) and comes out to go potty on the wee wee pads.

i do have some concerns about her nighttime habits, though. the first night i put her in the pen, and coaxed her into her crate with a stuffed kong. she cried like a little wolf. so i brought the crate into my bed and closed the gate -- she was pooped so she eventually fell asleep, but after the first middle-of-the-night potty trip, she REFUSED to go back into the crate quietly, even though it was in my bed. during the nights since, she's always completely pooped when i initially go to bed, since ive been playing with her during the evening, but after that first potty trip at around 1am, she goes CRAZY when i put her back in the crate.

i have been VERY good about doing the right things with lucy, but the one thing i can't handle is her crying. its broken my heart. so ive broken down and let her lie in bed with me in the middle of the night. this method has been fairly OK -- ive been sleeping lightly and bringing her to the wee wee pads when she stirs -- but there have been two problems. one, she stirred so quietly last night that she ended up peeing and pooping (YUCK!!!) in my bed. luckily i found it before i rolled into it. second, after her potty trips, she gets back into bed and wants to PLAY. she bites my hair, feet, fingers -- EVERYTHING -- even though i try to totally ignore her and encourage her to go back to sleep.

final bit of info -- i live in an apartment building... and really cant have her screaming all night. the neighbors would really be upset! a little crying is OK... but she's a gal with a powerful bark!

any help would be GREATLY appreciated
    LOL! I'm having the same issue. Toby is 8 weeks old and has been sleeping in bed with us. Usually I wake up when he does and take him out, but the night before last my leg got peed on, and last night there was 2 puddles. He also tends to wanna play when we get back in bed. Biting and such. LOL

karlaa Guest

congrats, interesting personal story. karla