Thread: about to be a new mom

Default about to be a new mom

hi there, im trying to set up a plan for little lucy, who will finally be ours next saturday. ive had very bad housebreaking experiences in the past, and it's totally our fault for not reading up on how to do it correctly, etc., so this time i want to do it the right way.

my confusion is the following. lucy's a westie, and i would love to give her outdoor training, but the reality is that i work during the day and it wouldn't be fair to expect her to wait all day for me to come home. i will have someone come by at lunchtime to walk her, but i don't even think that's enough either.

so my idea is to do a combination. i'd like to be able to take her for a morning and a night walk, and for her to be able to go to the bathroom then, but i suppose i'll need her to learn to go on newspapers during the day, as well. this tells me that i can't crate-train her since it's more likely than not that she'll end up going to the bathroom in her own crate when she can't hold it in any more, defeating the purpose of the crate. so should i use the exercise pen that you talked about in a few of your articles? if so, will it confuse her to have newspapers indoors but also to go on walks during which she gets praised for going to the bathroom?

final question is what to do with her when im home. how do i know when she should be in her "pen" versus hanging out with me? id even love a schedule -- lets say, on a weekend day, do i take her for a walk first thing, put her back in her pen for an hour, take her onto her newspapers for 10 minutes, give her 1 hour of "umbilical chord" free play time... etc? What would the schedule look like when I'm home?

Sorry for the long post, but I just want to make sure not to confuse little Lucy and to do everything in my power to make her comfy and happy. Thanks!

Glad to hear you're doing your housebreaking planning early... that can make all the difference! Depending on Lucy's age, you might need to do a combination of indoor and outdoor potty training. If she's less than 12 weeks old, she should have an indoor potty option, at least for a while. If she's more than 12 weeks old and you have someone coming in to take her out mid-day, you may be able to just do crate training with her. And dog door training is always a good option if you happen to have an enclosed yard or an area where you can install an outdoor dog run.

Can you let us know her age and whether you'd plan to have her trained to go both indoors and outdoors as a permanent plan or if you'd eventually want her to go just outside? That will help us to answer your questions better...

Thanks!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

thanks for the response!

Lucy will be 9 weeks old when I receive her. I think I'm aiming for MOSTLY indoor training, since I do work, and since therefore Lucy would have a fairly long day of having to hold it in. But I will of course be taking her on walks throughout her life -- both for fun and for bonding time. I just don't want her to become dependent on them for going to the bathroom. I also don't want to confuse her about whether she should hold it in until we go for a walk, or just go on the paper.

Thank you!

Okay, great... this will be pretty straightforward if you intend to keep her permanently papertrained. You'll be able to do a standard indoor potty training program with her, then you can just do some puppy airlift and/or umbilical cord training in the evenings or on the weekends and take her outside to go potty at those times. I don't think it'll be difficult at all to get her to understand that she can go on her papers and outside. Like any other housebreaking program, you just need to be on top of your confinement, supervision and scheduling.

Since there will be plenty of time when she needs to be in her confinement area (when you're at work, sleeping, showering, etc.), I'd suggest having her out with you as much as you can when you're at home, as long as you're able to supervise her and give her frequent potty trips to her papers or outside.

The first few days, I'd suggest doing the puppy airlift when Lucy's not in her confinement area and I'd be giving her a chance to potty every 30 or 45 minutes. Making sure her feet don't touch the ground except in her potty area or outside for the first few days will get her on the right track by preventing her from having the opportunity to have accidents, which is where your focus should be in early training.

I hope this helps to get you started... if you have more questions, let us know!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default lucy's home!!

lucy's finally here! she is an absolute joy. silly, fun, happy, playful, sweet, and GORGEOUS.

i have been doing the puppy airlift method which is working beautifully. she's only 9 weeks old now and nearly fully understands what to do when i tell her "go potty." basically, i have her in an exercise pen, but her crate is IN the pen -- i just leave the crate door open for her, since i work during the day. she seems to get it just fine -- she sleeps in her crate during the day (since the breeder said that's the crate she was raised in, and loves it) and comes out to go potty on the wee wee pads.

i do have some concerns about her nighttime habits, though. the first night i put her in the pen, and coaxed her into her crate with a stuffed kong. she cried like a little wolf. so i brought the crate into my bed and closed the gate -- she was pooped so she eventually fell asleep, but after the first middle-of-the-night potty trip, she REFUSED to go back into the crate quietly, even though it was in my bed. during the nights since, she's always completely pooped when i initially go to bed, since ive been playing with her during the evening, but after that first potty trip at around 1am, she goes CRAZY when i put her back in the crate.

i have been VERY good about doing the right things with lucy, but the one thing i can't handle is her crying. its broken my heart. so ive broken down and let her lie in bed with me in the middle of the night. this method has been fairly OK -- ive been sleeping lightly and bringing her to the wee wee pads when she stirs -- but there have been two problems. one, she stirred so quietly last night that she ended up peeing and pooping (YUCK!!!) in my bed. luckily i found it before i rolled into it. second, after her potty trips, she gets back into bed and wants to PLAY. she bites my hair, feet, fingers -- EVERYTHING -- even though i try to totally ignore her and encourage her to go back to sleep.

final bit of info -- i live in an apartment building... and really cant have her screaming all night. the neighbors would really be upset! a little crying is OK... but she's a gal with a powerful bark!

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Congratulations! It's so exciting to get a new pup and you are doing everything right this time around .

It sounds like little Lucy likes her crate but is not used to being shut in with the door closed. Does that sounds right? If so, read through the training information on crate acclimation and start your practice during the days when you're less likely to disturb any neighbors. You may also want to let them know that you are training your new puppy. That way they don't think the worse if she decides to let the world know how much she hates being shut in the crate (a trick most puppies try at some point).

In the meantime, you can sleep with her in her x-pen set up with wee wee pads.. If you're still brave enough to sleep with her in the bed after last nights surprise , then I would recommend tying her to you with the leash so that she won't wander off to potty. If she is attached to you, you should wake when she does. Even better, set the alarm to wake you for potty breaks so she doesn't get in the habit of waking you. And, if you're a heavy sleeper, get her out of the bed- you could roll over on the little cutie
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

You didn't mention whether you're waking her up for her nighttime potty trips or if she's waking you up. I find that puppies are better about going back to sleep peacefully if you wake them up, since they'll tend to still be kinda drowsy on the potty trip.

If they've been working up a head of steam fussing in the crate trying to wake you, they can be fired up and ready for action when you get them out! Setting your alarm to wake you up so you can take Lucy out may help to keep her in sleepy mode throughout the night.
    Rebecca

Default transition

Thanks for all of the great advice! It was especially on-point that Lucy becomes wide awake when she expends all that energy trying to wake me up to go potty... so I've started waking HER up periodically through the night, and we have had, so far, 2 straight nights of fantastic sleep (aka no accidents!!) She is sleeping in my bed still -- but she's so cuddly and I'm a light sleeper, so its a perfect combination

I do have one more question about training her, though. She has been doing great in her exercise pen during the day. Then, when I come home, I close the door of the room she sleeps in, put a wee-wee pad right next to the outside of her pen, and let her run around and play with me. She is totally amazing and miraculously has been scooting right over to the wee-wee pad WHILE SHE'S PLAYING (!) to go potty. So no accidents in the room, either. This makes me feel like Lucy's ready for a transition of some sort. Do I enlarge the pen? Let her have the whole room while I'm gone? What sort of transition plan makes sense? She's going to be an indoor potty-er for her whole life, pretty much.

Another related question -- the pen complicates things a bit because her food and water and crate are in there. So when we're playing and just hanging out, she can't go get water or hop into bed for a nap when she wants to (unless if I expressly place her back in the pen). Shouldn't she be learning some independence? The logistics confuse me a bit -- any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

She is totally amazing and miraculously has been scooting right over to the wee-wee pad WHILE SHE'S PLAYING (!) to go potty. So no accidents in the room, either. This makes me feel like Lucy's ready for a transition of some sort.
    First off, congratulations on your quick success- sounds like Lucy is a potty training prodigy If she was a little older, I'd agree that she's ready to move forward. But if my math is right, she's only 11 weeks or so- still very young. I'd stick to your plan since it's working so well and then plan on an expansion at around 16 weeks. Unless you start having new problems- then we should reevaluate.

If she can't get back into her pen during play time, I'm guessing that your pen has no door? Even so, most x-pens let you open them up on a side. I would open the pen when she's out so she always has access to the water, bad and wee wee pads (that way you don't move her potty area, too). If this is not an option then you may need to consider a little Lucy area outside the pen so that she has two of everything.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Congratulations... glad to hear Lucy's being such a good girl!!

I think Dana pretty much covered all of your questions, so all I'd add to that is my usual warning for people with young puppies that are doing well with their potty training... don't get a false sense of security and start to ease up on your supervision and scheduling! If you start to relax too soon, backsliding can occur, and that's a real bummer! Keep doing what you've been doing, enjoy your success, and, as Dana suggested, wait 'til she's a bit older to make any changes in your program.
    Rebecca