Thread: Ultimate Housebreaking Challenge!!!

All right, back to Project Teddy. She's being a good little beastie except for one thing... she's turned into a late-night party girl!

As part of Teddy's housebreaking program, Omar and I started out with her sleeping in our bed so we could be sure she didn't have any accidents overnight. It worked really well, but when we discussed starting to have her sleep in a crate, we both discovered that we kinda like having her sleep in the bed. We've never been dog-in-the-bed types, but she's just so irresistably cute!

So, she's STILL sleeping in the bed, but she's now decided to wake us up in the middle of the night to tell us she needs to go potty. Good that she's telling us she needs to go out, of course, but BAD that it's happening in the wee hours of the morning!!

I've done a bit of detective work and I think I've found the root of this problem... she's been staying up late with her daddy and they've been having midnight snacks! Omar has always done this with our dogs, and it's never been a problem because they've had access to the dog door overnight and could take themselves outside. But for a dog who sleeps in the bed, late night snacking is a no-no!

So we have a new house rule... no food for Teddy after 9pm until she's able to use the dog door at night!

I need to get some sleep!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Default If you want something done right...

Well, I'm happy to say we're doing much better with Teddy sleeping through the night.

However, I had my first official housebreaking program PANIC today! I was reminded of how easy it can be to make a mistake that leads to an accident... I was chillin' on the couch working on the computer with little Teddy sleeping soundly next to me. The pizza delivery guy came and I went to get the door (with Killer Couch Poodle barking viciously behind me). As I was getting the food, she jumped off the couch and ran to the door to gum the intruder to death.

Since she hadn't been outside for a while, I called my stepdaughter (who's normally an excellent housebreaking helper) and asked her to run her outside for a pee. She said, "Okay", I went back to dealing with the pizza guy. After I finished up with him, I turned around and saw Teddy wandering around behind me. I asked my stepdaughter if she'd gone potty when she took her out.

She said, in that special way that only a 13-year old could, "Huh? Did you want me to. ... OH!"

That's when the panic struck.

I ran her outside and she peed. A good sign! However, housebreaking freakazoid that I am, I then insisted on walking every inch of he house in my socks to make sure there wasn't pee anywhere. There wasn't... good Teddy!

Now I remember why I tell all of my clients to be extra careful when more than one person is in the room with the dog... everyone thinks somebody else is taking care of the dog and it's easy to get the wires crossed! If you find that this is happening a lot with your family, try doing umbilical cord training and be sure that there's always one person who's officially in charge of the dog. When they can no longer supervise the dog, they need to either hand off the leash and the responsibility to another person or they need to put the dog somewhere where she won't have accidents, like the crate or the yard.

If this had happened on day one, I think we would have been in trouble, but I think the little creature's beginning to get the picture! We still have a long way to go, of course, but considering her history of a total lack of housebreaking for the first 8 or so years of her life, I think Teddy's just an amazingly good little girl!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default Oops.

Well, karma gave me a good kick in the butt for naming my last post "If you want something done right...", implying, of course, that I should have done it myself.

Turns out I'm not quite as on the ball as I thought... I was rushing to get out of the house the other morning and forgot to put Teddy in her crate when I left! I got a call from Omar, who, of course, had to torture me for a while by telling me there was pee and poo all over the house. Fortunately, there wasn't... she was still asleep on the couch right where I'd left her.

Even though this incident had a happy ending, it was a good reminder for me of how easy it is to make a mistake! I'm now doing what I always tell my clients to do when they find themselves slipping up like this... there's a note by the front door that says "TEDDY!" to remind anyone who's leaving that she needs to be put away. This is a great trick for those of us who can get forgetful when things get busy.

Good Teddy! BAD Rebecca!!
    Rebecca

Well, well, well, Miss Housebreaking Queen. I guess the rest of us should be comforted to know that everyone makes mistakes. Glad to hear it didn't end in any accidents. And that Teddy is feeling so secure in her new home that she actually slept away your departure- she must be feeling great now to do that!

I know I am "out to lunch" sometimes when I get busy- I've come home a few times to see that I left the front door hanging wide open all day. And I do forget to let those dogs out. The doggy door is my savior. I bet you can't wait to get little Teddy onto her new dog door program. How is that going? Are you ready to get started on it, or are you still planning a few more weeks of crate training / puppy airlift?

In any case, it's all going better than I had expected! Who tries to housebreak an eight year old dog!?!? Only you, Miss Rebecca. You are a kind hearted soul for taking in that little rag-a-muffin.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Default Teddy Rocks!!

Well, today was the first day of ramp training for Miss Teddy. Omar and I have been worried about whether she'd be able to use the ramp... we thought it might be too steep for her, since she only has strength in her front end and can't push off her rear legs at all when she's walking. Didn't know how that would work when she was on an incline...

But, as always, Teddy surprised us. She slipped, swayed and stumbled the first time she went up and down... then ran (well, "ran") up and down like it was nothing each time after that!

This just might work!

Now we just have to get that dog door installed...
    Rebecca

That little dog is an inspiration. To think I complain when my stomach hurts or I have a bit of a headache. Teddy is "The Little Engine That Could"

Dana

Yep, my little Teddy is an amazing girl!

She's totally using the ramp on her own now... at first, I'd have to walk down the steps to the yard and she'd use the ramp to follow me down, but I started a couple of days ago to just put her on the top of the ramp and wait on the porch so she'd start to learn to go down on her own.

I'll admit it... this change was a logical next step in her training, but it was also partly prompted by the fact that I didn't want to go down into the yard in the rain we've been having the past few days!

Regardless of my ulterior motives, Teddy's taken to the training quite nicely... today was the first day I just opened the door and she walked over to the ramp on her own, went down to the yard, peed and came back up.

Her custom dog door installation (!) should take place within a week, so that'll be a new, interesting test...
    Rebecca

Well, still waiting on that dog door installation... we're having a bit of trouble synchronizing our schedules with the guy who's putting it in for us, but it should happen soon, which I think will take Teddy's training to the next level!

Teddy's been KILLING me with her cute, very intense method of letting us know she needs to go outside to go potty. Dana would love this, since she's a big fan of the dog who comes to tell the owner that it's time for a potty trip instead of signaling by the door... when Teddy needs to go potty, she starts wagging her tail, leaping at us, woofing at us and smacking us with her paws... she just turns into the Tasmanian Devil! It's hysterical. Sometimes, if we take her out and bring her in after she pees, she'll do the whole maniac routine all over again to let us know she wasn't quite finished and still needs to poo! So cute!!

However, we just hit a bump on the path to a housebroken Teddy... she's been perfect with her housebreaking for the longest time, and last night, she tried to pee on our kitchen rug! Omar took her out 10 minutes earlier and she peed, but then she tried to have an accident right in front of him! Fortunately, he was able to catch her, correct her and get her to finish up outside, so it's not the end of the world. But still a bit of a bummer!

All in all, this has still been waaaay easier than I expected...
    Rebecca

She's hardly had any mistakes at all! Good thing you guys keep catching her when she does
    Dana

Yeah, at least I can say we've caught her every time she's tried to have accidents in the house... and I think it's only been 4 times in the 2 1/2 months we've had her, so that's not too bad!

She's back to being a perfect child... I have NO idea what was up with her the other night!
    Rebecca