Thread: doesn't want to potty outside! :-o

Default doesn't want to potty outside! :-o

Hi there -- it's Lucy's mom again!

Lucy just got her final set of shots and is finally allowed to head outside for some quality walk time! And she loves it... she pounces around like the happiest girl on earth.

However, little Lucy does not want to go potty outside! She is used to her wee-wee pads inside, I guess, and while I will totally allow her to have wee-wee pads her whole life, it would be nice to have her eliminate during walks sometimes -- allowing me to have one less wee-wee pad to bring to the trash!

I've tried giving her a verbal cue while she's peeing on the wee-wee pad -- "go potty" -- but she doesn't seem to associate it with anything at all while we're walking outside. Anything else I could do?

Thanks!

Glad to hear Lucy's enjoying the outside world! The problem you're having is a pretty common one and it's usually not too difficult to resolve... you should be able to tackle it and get her going outside within a couple of days.

First, try the easy approach... put one of her potty pads in the area outside where you want her to go. That can be a good way of getting her to do it if she's really attached to her pads. Once she's going on the pad out there, break out the scissors and start putting a smaller and smaller piece of the pad on the ground until she's going on the ground without the pad.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to do a little more work. The best time to start this is on a weekend or at a time when you can dedicate a good bit of time to supervising Lucy. I assume she's still sleeping in the bed with you... when you get up with her in the morning, she should be feeling a pretty urgent need to go potty, so, instead of taking her to her wee-wee pads, take her right to her potty spot outside. Give her a few minutes to go... if she does, praise her like crazy and take her on a nice walk as a reward. If she doesn't, take her back inside and don't give her the chance to go potty on her papers or anywhere else in the house by using the puppy airlift technique. Wait for 10 or 15 minutes and take her out again, and just repeat this pattern until she goes. Be SURE you have sufficient time to follow through once you start this, because if you give in and let her use her papers, that really reinforces her idea that the papers are the only place to go and she needs to hold it until she can get there.

Try those ideas and report back to let us know how she's doing!

And I just realized I don't know what kind of dog Lucy is! I'm not sure you mentioned it in any of your posts... I hope I'm not telling you to puppy airlift a Great Dane!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

hehehe that made me crack up

no, Lucy is a westie -- and only 5 pounds at 10/11 weeks old, so she's definitely a puppy airlift candidate. that's how we started housetraining her when she first came home, in fact.

thanks for the advice, we're definitely going to try one/both of those options. i get the feeling that, for lucy, it's not the pad so much as the area that she knows she's supposed to go on -- since, for example, sometimes she "misses" the pad and pees on the floor right next to it. i know she has good intentions, though, so i always praise her even when she misses slightly. anyway -- i will definitely let you know how it goes!

last q -- do you think there's a possibility that her peeing outside will throw her housebreaking indoors off track? i know i asked you this before i even got lucy, but now that we've been together for a little while, i can tell that little things could set her back. for example -- i bought generic brand wee-wee pads one day instead of her favorite "four paws" brand -- and she had accidents all over the place even as i was supervising her closely. so i feel like lucy's super sensitive with her housebreaking! im nervous!

I thought I remembered her being a Westie, but when I scanned your previous posts to see what our plan for her had been I didn't see it, so thought I was thinking of someone else! Sometimes we have people do the puppy airlift with large breed puppies (before they're large!) and they outgrow the technique. Glad she's just a little creampuff... certainly makes things easier!!

A shallow tray might be helpful for fixing those "just off the papers" accidents... a replacement tray for a wire dog crate would work well, since it has a very low edge that will create a clear perimeter for her without being too much of a hurdle for her to jump over to get to her papers. Since you said she's picky about her papers, she may not be happy about the tray, either, so I'd give it a shot and if she seems to be pottying outside the tray, eliminate it and just make her potty pad area bigger by adding another pad or buying a larger size.

As far as whether the change to partial outdoor training will throw off her indoor potty training, it's hard to say for sure. Generally, this goes pretty smoothly and doesn't change the dog's indoor habits at all, but if you're very concerned it'll be a problem since she's sensitive to change, it might be time to reassess how important it is to you to have her go potty outside. If it's very important, then it's worth the risk of trying. If you don't really care either way, I'd stick with the program that's been working and call it a day.

What do you think?
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

good point on the tray idea. im going to try that. and as for the importance of going potty outside... i guess it's not extremely important to me, but probably worth a shot -- and you're right, if she's just not responding well to it, i can always just retreat back a few steps and go back to indoor potty training consistently again. she definitely loves going out for walks whether or not she's pottying out there, so i don't think she's missing out on anything anyway. thanks for the tips!!