Thread: kitchen mess

Default kitchen mess

hi all! i'm back again -- with mostly good things to report, but one smallish lingering problem.

ms. lucy's been great with her wee-wee pads... never has an accident when she's enclosed in her room, and has very few accidents when we're supervising her in the apartment. the only issue I've spotted is with the kitchen. the floor is tiled in there, so it must feel different to her -- and whenever she has the chance to run in there, she'll pee and poop. wondering what is the best way to combat this? ive heard you mention feeding the dog in the spot they like to pee in -- but lucy gets free-fed (for now) so she might not eat when i put her bowl down.

any thoughts? thanks!

Congratulations on your progress, sounds like your training is moving along quite nicely.

For your little kitchen problem, if you don't want to feed her in there all the time, you could just occassionally sprinkle some yummy treats on the floor and let her eat them. Or, you could use the kitchen for "hide the treat" games where she has to hunt a little to find the yummies. Also, just spend some time in there each day. Take her in with you while you read the paper, or practice her obedience training lessons in that room for a while. Anything you do in there to make it more a part of her living space will help. You might also occassionally leave the gate open when you can spy on her and catch her for the mistake- tell her "no" and get her to an appropriate potty area immediately.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

all great ideas! although lucyfer (as ive come to nickname her hehe ) is doing great we still have lots to work on! i love the idea of giving her treats and just spending time with her in there... i'm going to try it tonight and see how it goes.

Another related issue I wanted to ask about is Lucy's continued poo-eating (yuck!). we've tried panacure, and while she eats LESS of her poop, she still takes a few nibbles -- which is more than too much!! are there any alternative "cures" you guys can suggest?

thanks!!

Rebecca has two clients who stopped immediately when switched to a dehydrated, raw food. What was it called, Rebecca?

I imagine you might get a similar result on the typical BARF (bones and raw foods) diet. Dogs fed mostly meat and bones have small, dry, pretty non-stinky poos bc most of what they eat is digestible. Dogs fed typical commercial dog food cannot digest a lot of what they eat (grains and fiber). I think this is what draws them back to eat their poo

I recently switched my dogs back to 100% raw and the smell in my yard is gone. The poos are small and pretty innocuous, even in this Arizona heat and all the flies are gone. My older dogs have clean fresh breath again and sparkling white teeth. Even old Marco's body smell is back to normal (he was starting to smell "old"- you know what I mean).
    Dana

It was Force dog food made by a company called Honest Kitchen. I was amazed at how quickly it resolved the problem!

Have you tried adding Deter or Forbid to her food? You can get one or the other in just about any pet store and they tend to work well.
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

We have tried Forbid -- she kept eating it, the only difference was her wee-wee pads were WAY stinkier!

I'm intrigued by the raw diet idea, though. Is the argument that a BARF diet is closer to what dogs were meant to eat in the wild? Any recommendations for good sites/forums that give you a BARF menu/plan?

The book that really promoted the raw feeding was BARF by Ian Billinghurst. You can also search the internet and find tons of information, though I can't say which is best. I read the Billinghurst book over ten years ago and it's all the info I needed to get started.
    Dana

well i haven't had the chance to check out that book yet, but i wanted to say thanks on the advice about spending more time in the kitchen! we did a little training in there over the past few days, and i don't want to jinx myself but there hasn't been a "kitchen mess" since! thanks so much!

Thanks for the update... sounds like good news! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you that this is a sign of more good behavior to come...
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Tamara Guest

Hey joviandp, if you would like to stick with the easy kibble try Innova EVO......this is a dry kibble found at your local Pet Supply Store that is the closest kibble to a raw food diet.