Thread: Crate Training and a young puppy

Default Crate Training and a young puppy

we have a young 10 - 12 week old puppy. We are trying to crate train, but are having some issue.
    She sleeps in a crate at night and it works pretty well. But during the day we can't leave her alone for more then 10 min without her peeing in the crate. We take her out just before putting her in and she does her business. But we have left and come back because we for got something and there is pee. We give her a puppy nylabone, a ball a few bits of food so she is distracted as we leave, but are unsure what to do.
    I read on the site, "The only people who shouldn't choose this method are those that have very young puppies and are away from home all day or those that have unusually long work hours and can't come home during the day to let the dog potty on a reasonable schedule." What should we be doing with a young puppy?

At that age, she should be able to stay in the crate for 3-4 hours at a time, especially if she sleeps in the crate overnight. So, crate training is a good method at that age IF you can keep a schedule that doesn't require you to be away for longer than 4 hours. If you need to be away for longer than that, temporary indoor potty training can be a necessary evil, unless you have the option of doing dog door training. Instructions for all of those methods can be found in the training section of our site.

The first thing that comes to mind is that she either might have a medical issue (unlikely since she holds it all night in the crate, but always worth considering, since puppies can have these issues when they have UTIs or bladder infections) or that she might be gulping down too much water before you need to crate her. With your vet's approval, you should limit water for an hour or two before leaving her in the crate.

Just to be clear, is she peeing outside shortly before you put her in her crate or does she just poo when you take her out, then she waits until she's in the crate to pee?
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

She does pee just before we put her in the crate. The problem seems to be that she does not fully evacuate her bladder while peeing. She is not marking she just does not push it all the way out.

Be sure you're rewarding her only with praise and playtime after pottying outside... no treats. Treats will often cause a puppy to only partially empty out, since they can be so anxious to get the food.

It would also be a good idea to keep her out for a while and maybe walk her around a bit after the initial pee, especially if it seems like it wasn't long enough. Some puppies need to do 2 or 3 pees when they go out!

Keep us updated on how it's going!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

We are not giving treats for potty. we are praising her, but as soon as she started, which I think was distracting her. So we have started praising once she was finished.

I do what another question about feeding. I can come home and let her out during my lunch. But I only have an hour, with 15 min of drive each way, so only 30 min at home. So should I be feeding her lunch while I am home? I guess I should have started with we are feeding her 3 times a day. Should I transition to 2 time a day?

The immediate praise when puppy starts to potty is a common mistake... you're on the right track waiting until she's done to praise!

Most likely, transitioning to two feedings a day should be fine... however, some puppies (especially small breeds) can have blood sugar issues if they don't eat frequently enough, so I'd run that question by your vet before making the change. If the vet feels it's important for the puppy to have a mid-day meal, you can most likely give a much smaller meal that will be less likely to cause issues... never good to have a puppy with a big, full tummy stuck in a crate for hours!
    Rebecca