Thread: Puppy Poops in Crate, but only in the evening???

Question Puppy Poops in Crate, but only in the evening???

I have a 10 week old puppy, who is doing pretty well with crate training, minus one issue. I feed her three times a day at 8:30, 1:30, and 5:30. I only work one, three-hour shift a day from 10-1 and she will sometimes pee in her crate, but never poop. The rest of the day, I am either home or running short errands, so she is usually out of her crate. The problem comes if I go out to dinner or anywhere else in the evening, pretty much any time after 7. Even if she has already pooped twice since dinner, she goes in her crate. She doesn't hate her crate, and actually likes it at night. I can't imagine why she's doing this. When I do go out at night, I don't leave her for more than 2.5 hours. I've tried putting a towel down, no towel down, and a crate mat thingie, but she has gone on all three. At first I thought it was because she was having diarrhea at night, but I started giving her a little bit of pumpkin everyday and that problem is solved. It is a disgusting mess to clean up. Good thing she's adorable! Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry for the delay in answering your post... I've had a bit of a crazy week and got behind on just about everything! I hope that you may be having better luck by now, but I'll give you some suggestions, just in case!

First, I'd recommend that you read my article about dogs who have accidents in their crates, if you haven't already.

Be sure the crate is spotless and you do a thorough job of cleaning the crate and the puppy each time there's an accident. Use an odor neutralizer that's made specifically for pet accidents.

You might also benefit from feeding her her meals in the crate... most dogs really try to avoid soiling their eating area.

If you're still having problems, give me the details of what's going on and I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas for you...
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!