Thread: Delilah and Bella - story of 2 Shih-Tzus

Default Delilah and Bella - story of 2 Shih-Tzus

Hello everyone! My wife Danielle and I have a 4 and a half year old Shih-Tzu named Delilah. It is my 1st dog and her 2nd dog. She is a wonderful dog and is actually a certified therapy dog that my wife brings to libraries and volunteers to children who read to Delilah. Delilah is extremely friendly and sweet. She has never bitten anyone (except gently in play) and she is regarded by anyone who has met her as a wonderful dog to know.

I will say this – Delilah is very spoiled. We have let her sleep in our bed from a very early age and we generally pamper her in terms of playing with her, giving her treats and making her happy. She has over 50 toys and lots of clothes. She does attend doggie day care twice a week when my wife is working (she is a teacher – no day care in summer) and is used to other animals. We have lots of friends and family around and so Delilah is around people very often.

On August 5th this week we brought home Bella, a 9 week old (born May 27) Shih-Tzu. We are just getting to know Bella but so far she is a sweetheart. She only woke up once during her first night in our home (in a gated area – not our bedroom), and she is playful and friendly. Unfortunately, Delilah was not happy with Bella. Bella would be playful towards Delilah and try to sniff her and play with her. Delilah would get defensive and run away or else she would bark aggressively at Bella. Bella is never scared of this and instead tries to play even more and Delilah is clearly not happy. Delilah has a very strong personality and it is obvious when she is upset. Delilah is very angry this ‘intruder’ is in her space.

We partially bought Bella because we want Delilah to have another dog in the house and not be alone when we are both at work or when we are out of the house for 4-5 hours at a time shopping or to dinner and a movie etc. We live in a home with lots of room for both dogs to play. Because this is so important to us, we badly want to do what it takes to get them both to get along as soon as possible.

Delilah's attitude is also making training Bella more difficult. Our plan is to wee-wee pad train Bella (as is Delilah). We have an Octogon shaped pen in our kitchen with a bed, food-water, and a pad. At night, Bella sleeps in a cage. The cage is big enough for her bed and is about 2 by 2 feet. Getting Bella to 'pee on her pad' as soon as possible is our goal. And more importantly, to get Delilah to accept her and love her. Help!

Hope things are looking up with Delilah and Bella! This isn't uncommon when a new puppy comes into a household with an existing adult dog and it can take some time for things to work out. One thing I find very helpful when the new pup is being overly playful and aggravating the older dog is to have the pup on leash for much of the time she's around the other dog. This will allow you to manage how much contact there is between the two and will give Delilah a bit of time to get used to the presence of the puppy without having Bella all over her.

In cases where things don't seem to be improving or if you're concerned about one of the dogs hurting the other, I'd definitely suggest that you get some hands-on help from a trainer in your area who can really get a feel for what's going on and offer you the proper guidance.

I hope you've checked out our "Indoor Potty Training" articles... they should definitely put you on the right track with your potty pad training!

Keep me updated on how things are going!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Default Getting better!

Rebecca, thanks! Things have improved in the last two days. We hired a dog trainer who has worked with one of Caesar Milan's team members and is an expert in dog psychology besides training. He came over and gave us a 2 hour session with the dogs as well as endless tips. By the next day, the dogs were playing and tolerating eachother. They still need a time out now and then but things are clearly on their way to getting better.

On the training front for the puppy - she is being wee-wee pad trained and she successfully pees on the pad nearly every time. Problem is pooping - she goes once during the day and then almost always in the middle of the night. She goes on the pad in her crate, but then always walks in it making a mess and headaches for my wife and I! Last night we put her in the crate at 10:30pm and she pooped at 11pm as we were going up and walked right in it. Then, did the same thing at 4am. Besides vigorously working her out, any ideas here? We feed her at 6am when I get up and 6pm. During the day - we put her in the crate when we leave the home and in an enclosed pen for more room to roam when we are home but need space to do other things. She gets lots of attention.

Thank you!

So happy to hear you found a good trainer that was able to help you with Delilah and Bella!! Great news that you had such quick progress!

I responded in your other thread about the pooping issue, but after reading this, I'm wondering if you guys should just invest in a larger crate or use a large pen for her overnight area. That would allow her to use the pads if she needs to poo but still allow her room to move around without having to step in the poo and make a mess. Hope you guys are hanging in there... cleaning a poopy puppy every morning can wear on you after a while!!

Keep me updated...
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!