Thread: Saying Hi

Default Saying Hi

I'm a first time dog owner with Emma, my miniature dachshund. She's black/cream with long hair and she's a handful. She's 10 weeks old and I'm about to call her my Monster Dog. I've had her a week.

I'm SO glad I found your site as I found myself crying my heart out with frustration and being so overwhelmed by her. I don't regret the purchase at all. She's wonderful. I'm just scared to death of her. Trying to keep track of her for housebreaking purposes, crate training with her howling most of the night, nipping/biting, hyperness before bedtime, into everything..all of it.

I didn't go into this blindly. I just wasn't expecting it this all at once so hard and so fast. It's just making bonding with her that much harder.

Your site has helped with some better ideas and it has helped to know that a lot of what I have been doing is right. I'm not quite the loser dog owner I think I am.

She's doing really well with the housebreaking. We have a few accidents a day usually due to lack of diligence or missing a signal from her.

I think I can go back to bed now.

Hi, Bethany! Welcome to the wonderful (horrifying?) world of puppy ownership! Puppies, even good ones, can be totally overwhelming, even for people who think they know what they're in for!

I think the most important thing is to recognize that it's totally normal to feel incredibly frustrated and like a "loser dog owner"... most puppy owners spend a lot of time wishing they'd gone with a goldfish instead of a dog! Once you realize it's normal and expect to feel that way sometimes, I think it makes it all a little easier to bear.

Just be consistent and try to focus on the positive (I think puppies were made to be extra cute so we wouldn't strangle the little suckers!). If you stay on top of her training now, you'll end up happy in the long run... it's like I always say, the best thing about puppies is that they eventually turn into dogs!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!