Thread: help! Pottytraining!!!

Hybrid View

Default help! Pottytraining!!!

Hi! I have a sweet 12 week old mini dachsund named Sparkles. I have had to crate train her when I leave the house with a pen attached and a pee pee pad inside. She readily goes on the pee pee pad , but no matter how many times a day I walk her she holds it until she is back in the house and sees her pee pee pad. WE have tried toplace the pad outside but she only attacks it. I realize this is all my fault. I should have skipped the paper training part and solely crate trained her, but I am gone 4 hours a day, and I felt she was a bit young to stay solely in the crate for that long. Help!Thanks for any input,

Tracey, mommy of Sparkles

Hi, Tracey...

This is a common problem with puppies that are trained to use pads. Before I start making suggestions, let me know what your plan is for her housebreaking. Do you want her to be trained to go outside 100% of the time or do you want her to use the pads sometimes?

If you'll be training her to go outside only, is a doggie door an option?

Let me know and I'll help you come up with a plan.
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Question

she will probably continue to use her pads when I go to work(4 hours a day). I would like her to go outside when I am home. Is this too much to ask of her right now?

Tracey

No, I don't think it's too much to ask. There are a few different approaches to teaching a pad-trained dog to go outside. I think the best is to do a standard crate training program coupled with the puppy airlift and/or umbilical cord technique, so you might want to take a look at those articles in our "getting started" and "housebreaking" sections. Take her to her outside potty area only (no access to pads except when you're away from home for long periods). She may hold out for a while, but she'll eventually learn that going outside is an option.

I'd start this on a day when you don't have to leave the house at all... you'll create a disaster if she's not going potty outside, then you put her in her pen and she goes on her pad, which reinforces her behavior of not going outside and teaches her that if she waits long enough, she'll get to be back in her comfy potty spot on the pads. Things will work MUCH better if your schedule allows you to keep taking her outside until she goes so you can make a huge fuss over her and show her how fabulous it is to go potty outside.

For some dogs, it's helpful to put the pad outside at first... if you want to do this and she's attacking the pad, try anchoring the sides of the pad with heavy rocks so she can't move it and the wind won't blow it (which can make it fun to chase!).

Keep us updated on how it goes...
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!