Thread: 6 week old puppy suddenly blind

Unhappy 6 week old puppy suddenly blind

On Friday we got a 6 week old husky mix (unknown mix) from our local shelter. She was a sweet, normal puppy. Suddenly Monday evening for still unknown reasons, she was blind. She is our first puppy and we enjoyed her so much over the weekend--we are totally devastated. We are working on getting her into an opthamologist. But my main question is how do we train a blind puppy? Thank you.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear that... poor little pup!

The good news is that blind dogs can have happy, fulfilling lives and can be trained! I'd strongly suggest that you work with a local trainer, if possible... getting hands-on help is a good idea in a case like this for sure. However, in the meantime, you can proceed with your housebreaking training using the instructions on this site. Can't think of anything off the top of my head that would need to be modified for a blind pup when it comes to housebreaking training, but if you have any specific issues or problems, feel free to get back in touch and I'll help you work through any issues that come up.

Hang in there and good luck!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!