Thread: Early wake-up call!

Default Early wake-up call!

So I introduce myself in the other category and now here is my question

Our 9 month old puppy is very good at asking for the door, going outside and staying clean in the house, so that's not a problem! He just wakes up too early…

He started waking up around 5:30am a while back. When he wakes up he cries and whines. We knew not to just get him because he cries but we have to get up at 6:00am to get ready for work and he just cries until 6:00am. I finally get up tired, cranky and with a headache. After a while my husband decided that he had enough of listening to him every morning so he just gets up when Maki starts to cry (also to give me a break). I know this is not a good behavior but I'm so tired! Unfortunately now he's waking up earlier and earlier. How do we break him of this habit?

Some precision; when he wakes up he doesn't want to pee he wants to either play or he just goes on the couch next to my husband and falls back to sleep.

We've been told that it would solve the problem to let him sleep in our room. Unfortunately I'm allergic to our little bundle of joy and I need to keep my room allergen free if I want to breathe while I sleep (I've never been allergic to dogs before, but this is our first dog and it started after we had him a couple of weeks and I was too attached to let him go).

Any ideas?

Ah, the canine alarm clock... enemy of any puppy owner who doesn't want to wake up at the crack of dawn!! This is a common problem that often gets better with time, but there are a few things you can do to help speed that process along.

Having the pup in your room would indeed be a big help. Since you haven't had dog allergies before, have you considered whether you might have an allergy to his shampoo or any other topical products you use on him? Another thing to consider if it is actually an allergy to the little guy would be trying "Allerpet D" shampoo/solution, which may reduce the allergens that are causing your reaction.

In any case, you should try to set up his sleeping environment so he's not likely to be woken up by it getting light outside or by the sounds of the outside world waking up. Making sure to have good blinds or blackout curtains in the room is a big help, as is covering the crate with a sheet or blanket (just be sure to leave some space to get air flow in his crate... don't want the little guy cookin' in there!). A white noise machine or loud fan will help to mask the sounds of the outside world and often helps pups to sleep later.

Another trick I like to use is having a few days of LOTS of exercise and activity so your pup is really worn out at bedtime... they'll often sleep later in the morning if they were really tired out the day before, so sometimes a couple of days of heavy activity will get him into the habit of sleeping later.

Oh, and try to avoid feeding the pup as soon as you wake up... just do some other stuff first so he doesn't associate waking up with FOODFOODFOOD! If he thinks waking you up will get him his breakfast sooner, he just might start making it 4:30 instead of 5:30!

You may also find my article about dogs who bark in their crates helpful. I'd try everything else before trying any correction for the barking/crying, but if the other stuff fails, the info in the article should be a big help.

Try that stuff and let me know how it goes... I have one more suggestion if things don't improve!

Good luck!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Default Thanks!

I replied a while back but it seems it didn't work…

Lets' try again

Your tips worked! It took a week of very intense evening exercises and we did also have to endure an hour of crying every morning for a week but Maki now wakes up at a reasonable hour. He has been sleeping until 6:15 every morning. He even slept until 6:45 last Sunday

Now if we could only find a way to make him stop chewing up the backyard fence…

Thanks Rebecca.

Stephanie

I'm so happy to hear Maki's no longer an early riser... great news!!

Keep up the good work!!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!