Thread: indoor training not going well :(

How's the weather where you are? No, I'm not just making small talk, I'm wondering if Miss Coco has decided it's too darn hot to have that cushy bed in her crate! Dogs will often move bedding aside in the crate if it's hot and they want to sleep on the cooler surface of the crate floor... if you think that may be the case, you can skip the bedding in her crate while it's hot or you could try a cooling dog bed like this.

She may also just be pulling the bed out for fun, so be sure she has chewies and toys to keep her busy so she doesn't feel the need to treat her bed like a stuffed animal or chew toy.

Glad to hear there were no more tinkle issues, at least... keep up the good work!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

ahhhh, you make a really good point! I think she was pulling out her bedding for fun, but she's been sleeping a whole lot on her ugodog lately, and I wonder if that's because she's too hot!

It was so weird today--she was using her ugodog fine during the day, but in the evening, I saw her go sniff around her ugodog, turned a few circles, and then deliberately walked off and had an accident pretty far away from her ugodog! I'm kind of scared that now she thinks of that place as her bed and won't pee on it well, either way I'm buying a cooling bed to see if this helps matters, but what do I do if she keeps sleeping on her ugodog and refuse to pee on it in the future??

oh NO! Another update:

Do you remember the nice linoleum/vinyl I had placed under coco's expen to protect the carpet? Well, last Friday Coco literally tore a giant gaping hole in it, so I had to get her another floor covering. I thought since I want her eventually to live in the apartment with carpet, I should buy a covering that's more similar to what she will eventually live with, so I got a 6x8 piece of pile carpet (I guess that's what you call it?) It's really short carpet and looked pretty tough, so I hoped she wouldn't be able to tear it up.

Well, today she had 2 accidents right on the carpet!!!! I'm not sure if it's just her not being used to the new surface, or if there's a new smell from the carpet, or if she just doesn't want to use her ugodog anymore, but she's never had this many accidents in the last couple of weeks!! she was doing so well!! why do you think she regressed? what should I do? Her little expen is still at the fairly small size, and I don't think I can make it any smaller, but she keeps on having accidents Should I switch back to vinyl flooring? How will she learn not to go on carpets??? ::sadface::
    Last edited by aerialdreams; September 15th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.

OH NO!!!! DISASTER HAPPENED TODAY!

I came home today to a pile of poo on coco's carpet in her expen she had also somehow stepped in it and got it EVERYWHERE. SO SAD! What does this mean??? I'm so scared that she's regressing and will unlearn how to use her indoor potty Is this cause for panic? Since she pooped on her carpet, I tried to clean it up to the best of my ability, but honestly I can't really tell if I got all of it since she tracked the poop everywhere. I basically soaked the carpet in enzymatic cleaner! (oh lord, she's now licking her ugodog; she's been eating on it and I guess there must be crumbs of food stuck in the grates) BAH...

Also, quick question on correction--whenever I catch her making a mistake, I always try to make noises and do something to interrupt her while I'm running toward her to get her to the right place, but she's completely unfazed by any sort of noise I make and just keep on doing her thing and making her mistake. Do you have any suggestions on what else I can do? I'm really scared that I may have to resort to the can with coins.... I really don't want to scare her, but nothing I do seem to be working, but I've always read NOT to use scare tactics on puppies and I'm a believer in positive reinforcement, not negative, but I don't know what else to do!

So sorry for the delay in responding... apparently there have been some issues with the forum and I stopped getting alerts for new posts! Yikes!!

So, first I'd suggest that you get rid of that carpet! Since she was doing better with the linoleum (aside from eating it... oops!) you might want to consider a thicker linoleum rather than introducing a new surface that may cause some confusion while she's still new to the idea of potty training. If she's still mostly using her UgoDog, I don't think the recent problems are cause for panic, but I think going back to the previous system, since she seemed to be doing pretty well about going in the right place while in her pen (aside from those mysterious wet toys/dog bed that you thought might have been pees!).

I don't like the idea of using a penny can to correct a young pup for accidents... I think that's too harsh, since all we're really looking to do is startle her enough to turn off the plumbing. If a sharp "no" and a foot stomp or hand clap doesn't seem to phase her, I'd be sure to have her on leash when she's out and about in the house with you so you can give her a quick little pull on the leash when you say no. Again, we're not trying to scare or hurt her, so just a light, quick snap of the leash. At this point, she should never be so far from you in the house that you can't get your hands on her quickly if you see her about to have an accident, so be sure you're not giving her too much freedom to wander around and get herself into trouble!

I just did a quick scan of this thread and I don't think I ever asked you if you plan to do permanent indoor potty training with Coco or if you plan to eventually teach her to go outside or do combo indoor/outdoor training. Can you let me know? Thanks!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Thanks for the reply!

I think with Coco I want to stick to the combo inside/outside training. Even though right now she's never alone for more than 4 hours, I still think it's unfair for her to hold it for this long, so the indoor is definitely happening for now, and i think in the future I would love to keep the indoor option open in case I can't get home at a certain time or if the weather is bad outside. She's going outside fine right now--we take 4 walks a day and she knows exactly what to do. I've definitely had second thoughts about the inside training at times though--I feel like this makes housebreaking a lot harder. Like I mentioned before, I feel like she knows to use her ugodog, but she still hasn't learned NOT to use other places like the carpet. Right now she'll use a ugodog when it's right there next to her and it's convenient, but she won't go out of her way to look for one to use when she's out and about in the room playing. Also, recently I've had more issues with her circling on her ugodog right before she goes, and she'll circle off of it and use the carpet when the ugodog is RIGHT THERE and she was just on it! This is why I'm scared that all her sleeping on the ugodog is interfering with the potty training. (I really don't understand--she has some floor space and her crate is there too! why does she always sleep on the ugodog??) I was considering getting a second ugodog so that her potty area is bigger, but I'm kinda scared that she'll just use it as a bigger bed...what do you think?

I'm definitely looking into getting different flooring so hopefully that will make it easier for her, but it makes me worried that one day, when she can get out of her expen and be in a room by herself, she'll be surrounded by carpet and she'll just regress and have problems again. Coco's only having at most 1 accident a day now, which could be worse, but I feel like we're not making much progress here since she's still having accidents and I can't expand her expen... am I just being too impatient? She IS only 4 months old, and she's only been home with me for a month... I guess I just feel bad for still keeping her in her small expen all day... I really wish I can give her more room to run around! I was wondering, how long does this usually take, based on your experiences? With the expen confinement option, how long does it usually take (that you've seen) before the puppy gets to have her area expanded and gets to stay in a room without the expen? Also, I know that as puppies get bigger their bladders also grow so they should be able to hold it for longer, but I feel like since Coco uses her indoor potty, she never learned the concept of "holding it". It seems like she has not used her potty any less frequently than before--when she gets bigger, will she learn to pee inside less anyway since her bladder will hold more? Or will she continue to pee every 2 or 3 hours like she is now?

As for my other question about correction--because coco has some of these accidents while in her expen, she's not on leash and I usually can't get to her in time (I have to open the door to the expen to reach her, and by then she's already done), which is why I was looking for other ways to get her to stop in the middle of her mistakes so I have time to rush her to the ugodog. But funny enough, Coco really isn't scared of noises, so I doubt the can would work, plus I hate the idea of scaring her too, so that's definitely out. I still have no way of stopping her accidents if I catch her right now though...my "no", clapping, and stomping does absolutely nothing! She just gets excited because she thinks I'm playing with her, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what I want!

Anyway, I'm just being an anxious mama! I should probably just learn to stop worrying so much and let things go. Thank you so much for listening to my rants and concerns!

Okay, glad I asked about the indoor/outdoor! I think that we should make a few changes to the program... since you want the UgoDog to be an emergency option and will mostly be having her potty outside, a crate training program may be the way to go. I'd only use the confinement area if she's going to be alone for an especially long time, but otherwise confine her in the crate when she's alone or unsupervised. This will help to teach her to hold it and will also minimize her opportunities to have accidents. For the first week or two, I'd be strict about keeping her on the leash when she's out in the house with you, but after that, I'd start introducing short periods of off-leash playtime in the house, but ONLY after she's done a pee and a poop either outside or in her indoor potty area. You might want to start with about 15 minutes, then work your way up from there. If she sleeps in the crate overnight, she should be feeling an urgent need to go by morning, so that's a good time to take her to her UgoDog to get her to potty on it... I'd help her get there (maybe even keeping her on leash) rather than just popping her in the ex pen, since she's had some problems finding her way to the right spot when she's on her own in there.

She'll definitely need to pee less frequently as she matures, and the crating will make the process faster. Hard to say how long it will take, though, since that really differs from pup to pup. Sometimes puppies seem to be trained almost instantly, sometimes they can struggle with training on and off for the first year, but most pups are pretty much reliable by 6 months of age or so.

I'd go ahead and do the bigger UgoDog, though, especially if she's starting to circle on it, then working her way off of it to have accidents.

And I definitely don't think you should worry too much at this point... she's still a baby and for the most part, it sounds like she's doing pretty well with her training!
    Rebecca

Thank you so much for all your advice so far Rebecca! You've been a TREMENDOUS help through all of this!!!!

I really like the idea of teaching Coco to actually hold it. However, during the day I'll be gone for 4-5 hours at a time--do you think that's an ok amount of time to crate a 4 month old?? I have no idea if she's actually able to hold it for that long since she's never tried before. Also, I was already feeling guilty for keeping her in a small play pen all day...with the crating her space will be even less! I know that it's for her own good, but I can't help but feel guilty... she'll have a lot less toys than she's used to! Won't she be so bored? And she won't have access to any water... will that be ok?

Right now Coco sleeps in her crate through the night (~7-8 hours) with no problem, and sometimes she'll go into the crate by herself during the day, but she's never been locked in the crate for that long during the day. Would you suggest that I jump completely into crating and just get rid of her expen? What if she cries and gets all fussy? I don't want her to have a bad association with her crate! Or do you think I should gradually introduce the crate to her? For example, what if I crate her during the day, but when I come back from work I keep her in her playpen? Or the opposite, keep her current playpen set up for now during the day, but crate her in the afternoon for 1-2 hours when I'm around?

Also, if I'm switching her over to crating, should I take her outside when I take her out of the crate, or should I take her to the ugodog? Knowing her, if I take her out of the crate and put her on the ugodog, she'll just run around the apartment and play with things and probably have an accident haha. But if I take her outside, how will she be able to keep up with her ugodog training?

With the current set up, after we come back from the outside we always have ~15-20 minutes off leash play in the apartment. If I'm switching over to crating, should I start over and keep her on leash at all times? And after we have the play session, should I take her outside again? Or just crate her and take her out at the usual times?

One more thing--in the last 2 days I've noticed that for whatever reason, Coco has become extremely fearful outside. She used to have no problems, but in the last 2 days she's refused to poop and will try to pull me toward home as soon as she's done peeing on the grass, and her tail is always between her legs... I'm worried that something is wrong, but I don't know what! I want her to grow up to be a confident girl (or at least be able to poop outside!) Any advice on what I can do? THANKS!!

Also, I just want to clarify--even though I say that I'd like to use the indoor potty for emergencies only, she might need to use it more than occasionally. Starting next year in February, I won't be able to come home during lunches anymore, so she may have to be alone for 8-9 hours at a time (terrible, I know!). She will be 8 months by then, but I'm not sure she will be able to hold it for that long, so the indoor option may be something that she has to use everyday. Do you think I should still proceed with crate training? Or some combo of crate and long term confinement training?