Thread: New puppy coming home this week!!

Default New puppy coming home this week!!

** I accidentally posted this in General HB talk, but would love for the two of you to give your opinions on this question **

Hi all, I have a new puppy coming home this week (a baby Belgian Malinois) and I'm so excited to get started training him with Housebreaking Bible's methods! I trained my other dog, Lucy the westie, with the same methods 6.5 years ago and they worked beautifully. There are some things I'm doing differently this time, though, and I need some advice.

I was OK with Lucy using the confinement method, since she was going to be 20 pounds max, I had a full-time job, and didn't mind an indoor potty pad for her whole life. The new puppy, though, will grow to be about 80 pounds and I NEED him to be an outdoor pottier ONLY. Question 1: is it possible to have the puppy never pee in the house / on the potty pads when Lucy does pee on the potty pads? Question 2: if I'm crate training the puppy, and he'll be 7 weeks old -- needing to be let out every 2 hours according to your advice -- what the heck do I do about daytime work hours? I do have a dog walker, but she can't come over every two hours. Alternatively, my work is dog friendly and I can bring him to work, but I'm afraid he's going to be hooting and hollering at such a young age.

Any advice would be SO appreciated -- especially to #2! He's coming home on Friday and by Monday I need to have a solution!

Congrats on the new puppy! What made you choose a Malinois?

Having one pad trained dog in the house can be tricky... there's no guarantee that the big dog will never go on the pads, especially if he's stuck in the house with no other options and really needs to go. Your best shot at keeping that from happening is to keep him away from the pads as much as possible during your early training. Don't let him follow Miss Lucy over there, since he might want to be a good boy and follow the older dog's example by pottying where she goes! Just putting him on a regular housebreaking program and keeping him out of her indoor potty area is a good plan to start with, then we can troubleshoot as needed.

Having such a young puppy and working long hours can be challenging... normally, I'd recommend temporarily using pads in a small confinement area for a few weeks until he's more capable of holding it, but in this case we can't risk teaching him that it's okay to go on the pads, since we don't want him going on Lucy's in the long run. If you can swing it, I'd have the dog walker come in a couple of times a day for the first week or two, then you can cut it down to once a day once the pup is able to hold it longer. Not a perfect plan, but it's probably the best thing to try first, then we can consider other options once we see how things are going.

Let me know how it goes... and don't forget to post a pic of the new addition!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Thanks so much for the response! Brian, my boyfriend (and domestic partner) is a Marine Corps veteran and worked with Malinois when he was deployed in Iraq. Though I'm generally a smaller-dog type gal, this was my way of telling him I love him and can compromise

I've been VERY strict with crate training, not letting him roam around free by himself at night or during the day when we're distracted. This has for the most part prevented him from even attempting to potty inside. I guess the real trouble will come when we start to let him roam a bit more in the house. But I know that's a ways away. Thanks to your advice I am keeping him away from the potty pads though, and that seems to be working well.

As for the long hours, I was VERY nervous about this, but I decided to bring him to my (dog-friendly) office with me. Because we've been working on getting him used to his crate, I was able to bring it in to work and he's been a very good quiet boy in there when he's ready for a nap. And during the night, he's now able to go 2.5-3 hours without a potty break! Really making some progress! He's also already learned to sit in 5 days. Smarty pants!!!!

The one remaining issue we're having is puppy BITING. I know this isn't a Housebreaking issue, but is there an article or a resource that you recommend to help with his little needle teeth??

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Congrats on the new puppy! What made you choose a Malinois?

Having one pad trained dog in the house can be tricky... there's no guarantee that the big dog will never go on the pads, especially if he's stuck in the house with no other options and really needs to go. Your best shot at keeping that from happening is to keep him away from the pads as much as possible during your early training. Don't let him follow Miss Lucy over there, since he might want to be a good boy and follow the older dog's example by pottying where she goes! Just putting him on a regular housebreaking program and keeping him out of her indoor potty area is a good plan to start with, then we can troubleshoot as needed.

Having such a young puppy and working long hours can be challenging... normally, I'd recommend temporarily using pads in a small confinement area for a few weeks until he's more capable of holding it, but in this case we can't risk teaching him that it's okay to go on the pads, since we don't want him going on Lucy's in the long run. If you can swing it, I'd have the dog walker come in a couple of times a day for the first week or two, then you can cut it down to once a day once the pup is able to hold it longer. Not a perfect plan, but it's probably the best thing to try first, then we can consider other options once we see how things are going.

Let me know how it goes... and don't forget to post a pic of the new addition!!