Hi!

I am so proud to say that three of my five dogs are now going out on their own using the dog door. Both of the ones who I still have to help are older dogs and I guess set in their ways. One knows how to go out with no problem, but only goes when I encourage him. I have got to play the treat game in the yard more (crossing my fingers) with that one. My question is about my marker dog. He still won't go out the dog door and is scared of it. I have removed the flap and he goes out with no problem. I put a zip lock bag with some water in the bottom (covers door opening half way). He goes out that one with no problem. I have been and continue using treats to encourage every step along the way. He won't go out with two zip lock bags covering the door. I have to hold his back and then he will go out. I did get him to go in one time yesterday with me standing inside and him standing outside. We will have had the door three weeks on Friday (the 5th). How long should it take for a timid dog to learn to go out? I'm feeling impatient. Do some dogs just never learn? I do see a little progress each day, but when everybody goes out, it's like we are starting over and he has forgotten everything. He just stands near the door. (Two steps forward, three steps back) What else can I do to help this little timid shih tzu learn to use to dog door with the regular flap? He won't use my zip lock bag flap consistently yet and we are a long ways from using the regular flap. I'm not giving up yet, but I sure would like to speed up the process at this point.

Thanks so much!
Lyn