Thread: Nervous Yorkie Poops

Default Nervous Yorkie Poops

I need some help.

In late May, I adopted 2 yorkies (both 6 months old at the time) and it seemed like they came from a puppy mill. It wasn't the best time to adopt, with us moving several times and everything, but that's the way it worked out.... They have been in the same apartment since late June. It took a while to get them potty trained and I'll admit they still have an accident every once and a while (we are still working on them ringing a bell or something to tell us when they would like to go out), but they are house trained for the most part.

Currently, I live alone. My husband is away for the next couple of months. Before that, he worked close enough that he could come home at lunch to let them out. The first couple weeks were rough for one of our pups named Leo (pooping in his cage everyday- you can tell he has nervousness and anxiety issues). We had them crated together and it was one big mess so we started crating them separate and found that his brother did great. And after a few weeks Leo seemed to finally get the hang of it too...

But we got married a month and a half ago and they stayed with my parents for two weeks, and now he seems to have gone back to pooping in his crate... (as a side note, my parents both work so the routine did not change during this time). I don't really believe he is pooping because I come home at lunch instead of my husband. My husband will agree that Leo is infatuated with me. Besides me coming home instead of my husband, nothing has changed in their routine.

Also sadly, Leo's anxiety has started to get worse (which is why I think he's pooping in his crate again). He paces and wimpers when I leave and then barks. Once I forgot my cars keys and the five minutes I was gone, he had pooped... And he has no problem sitting in it...

I leave the radio on. I've tried kongs, bedding, no bedding, feeding in the crate to associate it with a clean place, other toys that he enjoys, I've even wrapped the lower half of the crate in plastic so that any mess he makes is then contained on his tray. I'm at the end of my rope on this... I've had 3 yorkies before this and never had this anxiety issue... I'm not sure if I should try medications or something else. His brother does fine. Barks a little when we leave but, nothing other than that.

I've purchased a dog door and fresh pet grass and am going to try to see if he'll use the porch (we are in a 3rd floor apartment). The only issue is that I don't want them to bark outside...

Any advice would be appreciated... I'd like to take them to a trainer, but it's not in the budget at the moment. I will say that last week I started taking them to day care twice a week to help socialize and help with Leo's nervous problems.

Sorry to hear little Leo's having issues! Anxiety-related potty issues can be a little tricky to work with, but with some patience, you should be able to work the little guy through it. Although taking him to a trainer would be great if it was in the budget, you can still get at least some of the benefits of training by doing it yourself... a group class or obedience training him on your own with books or videos would be a great confidence builder for the little guy, so I'd get on that ASAP.

You might also benefit by trying a Thundershirt for him... it's an anti-anxiety wrap that I've seen work wonders with some dogs with these issues. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a nice, easy fix! You may also want to look into DAP (Dog Appeasing Phermone)... some of my clients have reported good results from it.

You should make sure you're always VERY low-key with Leo when leaving or greeting him (whether it's going in and out the front door or getting him in and out of his crate)... fussing over him when leaving or returning will tend to worsen anxiety when you're away.

If his poops are at all mushy, you might want to think about a food change or adding some boiled white rice to his food to firm up his stools... if they're soft, they'll be harder for him to control when he's stressed. Your vet may also have some suggestions for meds if loose stools/diarrhea are contributing to the problem.

If he's still having issues after you've done the above (on top of all the good stuff you've already tried!) you may want to talk to your vet about whether anti-anxiety meds would help.

Good luck... keep me updated!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Oh, and I should add that you might try experimenting with feeding times and amounts when you're going to have to leave the pup in his crate... sometimes feeding earlier and/or feeding a smaller part of his day's ration at the meal prior to your departure (then giving the remainder his later meal) can help, since he won't be so "full of it" when you leave him in the crate, which might help him to control his bowels better when he gets stressed!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!