Thread: Night shift schedule

Default Night shift schedule

Hello,
    I've recently brought home a 13 week french bulldog. I'm trying to crate train her to go to the bathroom outside. I work night shifts; which means I sleep during the day. I keep her in her crate during the day when I'm trying to sleep. I take her out every couple hours for potty breaks; which is going well so far. On nights I work she stays over at a friends house and I pick her up in the morning. What I'm concerned about are my nights off. Since everything is still new I've been keeping her on my same schedule even when I don't work. I sleep during the day still taking her out for regular bathroom breaks and I take her out to play and have dinner about the same time I would if I were going to work. She still ends up falling asleep for most of the night and I feel guilty putting her back in her crate in the morning. I'm just trying to stick to the same schedule until she's housebroken. I figure once she's potty trained then I can be a bit more flexible on my nights off. Please let me know if I'm on the right path. I've never had a dog before and I really want to make sure I'm doing this so it will be best for the both of us.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new puppy... Frenchie puppies are SO cute!!

I think you're definitely on the right track... dogs can easily adapt to all kinds of different schedules, but it's tricky when there are days where you want to switch things up if you're still early in your housebreaking program. I think if you can stand it you should try to keep the schedule at least somewhat consistent until the pup's 5 months old or so, since he'll have better control and not need to go potty as frequently, which will make the schedule change easier.

Hope things continue to go well... keep me updated!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!