Thread: What else can I do?

Thanks for the additional info. I'm still not clear about when he's having the accidents... are the only accidents the ones you mention that sometimes occur from in the early afternoon in his belly band? One thing I'd try right away is taking up his water earlier than 10:30 if you leave at noon, which might help to eliminate the accidents while you're gone. Try 9:30 and see if it helps. If he's really thirsty after his walk at 11:30, I'd give him an ice cube or a couple of tablespoons of water, but that's it. Of course, any time you're limiting water, you should make sure he has sufficient opportunities to drink at other times of the day.

If you have the time and inclination, post his actual potty schedule, including all accidents, etc. (see our written potty schedule article), so we can see where the accidents are happening and get more detail about what's going on. In addition to the info in the schedule shown in the article, let us know which pees are short squirts and which are full pees.
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Hello there! It's a whole year later and believe it or not, I am still having issues with Ollie.

Since I last posted I took Ollie back to the vet again to rule out any medical issues that are causing his problem. He was checked for everything including diabetes, and they even checked the size of his bladder to see if it was normal (it is) he got a clean bill of health again, so they say his issue is behavioral.

Ollie HAS made a lot of progress. He has learned to ring the bell to let me know he needs to go out. He even wakes me up to let him out if he needs it! And he has at times gone for weeks without a single accident. But there are periods where he regresses as well. And he is not always consistent about letting me know he needs to go out. He'll let me know about 95% of the time, and the rest he'll just pee wherever he happens to be at the moment.

I still take him out A LOT-pretty much once an hour when I am home.

I have a guess as to what may have made him backslide a bit and I am not sure what to do about it. I am a student and sometimes my schedule changes with the start of a new semester and I think that change might be triggering a change in his behavior. I am still not away from him for more than a few hours at a time, so he SHOULD be able to hold it but I guess he has other ideas!

So I still need some help dealing with times when my schedule might change and set him off, that 5% of the time when he doesn't let me know he has to go out.

It's really baffling that he can do so well for weeks at a time and then slide right back into accident mode. Any thoughts?

Oh another thing I thought I'd mention. The only other possible trigger for Ollie's backslide that I can think of is that we had been getting a TON of rain for months where I live. Thunderstorms too. So he hadn't been getting out for as long as usual on some of his walks. And like most dogs he hates thunderstorms. The rain hasn't been as much of a problem lately but that might have something to do with it.

Well, glad to hear that at least you've had a lot of progress with Ollie!

I'd still recommend keeping a written potty schedule for a while, which may help you to nail down a pattern to his accidents that you're not seeing yet.

If you're able to kind of predict when his accidents are likely to happen (schedule changes, thunderstorms, etc.), you might try crating or confining him when he's unsupervised at those times to prevent accidents.

Lots of dogs have housebreaking problems when it rains, so that part isn't unusual. I think a lot of that comes from US not wanting to stay out in the rain and our dogs are just following our lead. I'm a big believer in busting out the ol' rain boots and umbrella and walking the dog in the rain, playing with him in the yard in the rain, etc... that desensitizes him to the whole icky, rainy, wet weather issue and should help him to start emptying out when you take him out in the rain.

Another option is to assume he's dying to get back inside when it's raining and use going back into the house as a reward for going potty outside. To do this, you have to stay outside with him until he finally goes, then praise him and run back into the house. This is a fairly miserable process in the beginning, since you'll likely have a bit of a standoff, but dogs tend to catch on to it pretty quickly and become very motivated to go potty outside right away when the weather's bad.

If possible, you should also try to have a covered potty area for him on those rainy days... that can help a lot!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Hello again, if you've had a chance to look at my past posts about Ollie, keeping him confined or crated is really not an option.

The whole problem with Ollie is that his accidents are unpredictable. He does have some patterns (like having to pee right after he eats) and I make sure to head those off. The other ones are completely unpredictable. Trust me, I have spent countless hours analyzing this.

Sometimes the accidents happen in the morning. Sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes in the evening.

Here is his typical schedule:

We get up at around 7 am, he goes out for a quick pee and I give him water. Sometime between 7 and 10 he goes again for another quick pee, I take him for about a 1/2 hr walk (he poops on this walk) I feed him and then he goes out for another quick pee before I leave for class at 10.

I get back home from class & work sometime between 3-4 pm. He goes out for a quick pee as soon as I get home, and gets more water and then another quick pee before I take a shower. (He'll often pee on the rug when I am in the shower...) I leave for class again at 5:30 and I let him out for another quick pee before I go.

My mom gives him dinner and takes him out again for a little walk (where he usually poops again) around 6:30. I get home from class around 9 and he goes out again-I try to get him out for 10-15 mins. And then for the last time around 10:30.

I count at least 10 times that he goes out. If he rings the bell he goes out even more than that. I can't let him out any more often than I already do.

My schedule is going to change again in the fall...and once I am done with school and don't have my mom around and a schedule where I can be in and out all day I have no idea what I am going to do with him.

I don't even know how he has that much to pee out because we try to limit his water intake. I have no idea why he has to pee so much-it seems physically impossible. I am ready to rip my hair out over the whole thing.

I was trying not to keep him in diapers anymore, but I don't see any other option. I love this dog to pieces, but I can't deal with this problem anymore and I need a solution that is going to work once I am done with school.
    Last edited by TK2008; July 21st, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Sounds like you're taking PLENTY of potty trips with Ollie. When are the accidents occurring? If you could post a couple of days of really detailed schedule info that shows exactly when he's pottying outside and having accidents inside, it might help...

I may have asked you this before, but is there any possibility of having a dog door for him? That can be a real lifesaver in situations like yours.

Have you been able to catch and correct him for having accidents? Sometimes that's the key to getting the accidents to stop. If he goes on the floor and gets the same kind of relief he gets outside, he won't have any inhibition about going in the house, so you need to make it unpleasant for him to empty out inside.
    Rebecca

Unfortunately, no, since I live in an apartment I can't have him use a doggie door.

Most of his accidents now happen during the long stretch when I am gone and during that hour or so after I leave until my mom gets home. He still sometimes has random accidents at other times too but those are the big ones.

Like I said, I am trying to limit his water intake (he is obsessed with drinking tons of water) but I don't want to limit it any further because I don't want him to get dehydrated. I may have to play around with that a little more though.

We do catch and correct the accidents that happen when we see them. Thankfully most of the time when we are home he does let us know if he needs to go out and we know to let him out about a 1/2 hr after he gets a big drink. So now its mostly a matter of stopping the accidents when no one is home.

I don't understand why has has gone for weeks at a time with no accidents and then he regresses. He has proven that he can go for a few hours during the day with no accidents in the past so I don't understand why its different now.

It seems like you are doing about everything you can do to improve this situation. In my experience, dogs that are not crate trained often don't learn to "hold it". It sounds to me like this may be what is going on with Ollie. Since you've decided that crate training isn't an option, you're left with no ability to teach Ollie to hold it when you are gone. Since you can't use a doggie door either, I think your best option is an indoor potty- he won't have to hold it and you'll have an easy place to clean when he does go. Have you considered or tried using papers, pads or an indoor potty box?
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

I don't think its just a matter of him not being able/not learning to hold it, because he has gone for weeks at a time with no accidents. So he CAN hold it at times.

This morning he peed on the sofa. He was just laying there, then he got up and there was a big puddle. (not the first time that has happened either) I didn't have class this morning and he kept ringing the bell earlier so he had been out about 4 times before that.

Yesterday he had no accidents. The day before, and the one before that, he wet his diaper when I was gone for the long stretch. The day before that he peed on my mom's bed during the hour or so after I left in the evening before she got home.

I have recently gone back to using the diaper only when I am gone (after he peed on my mom's bed), but after this morning I think he is going to go back to wearing it all the time.

I am really puzzled because as I said before he has been able to go for weeks with no accidents before and now all of the sudden he went back to having an accident almost every day again.

I appreciate all of the help you guys have been trying to give, but he really may be beyond help. I guess I am gonna have to decide if I am just going to deal with a dog who wears diapers/has accidents or if I am going to give him up and try to place him in a home where he can be a mostly outdoor dog. He has peed/lifted his leg on pretty much all of our furniture at this point and I have shampooed the rug so many times...as much as I love him this is very hard to deal with.

I don't think he's beyond help, so I hope you decide to keep him and continue working on his housebreaking.

Without seeing the dog and working with you personally, it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on with him. I'd suggest that you try working with a local trainer that's experienced with housebreaking issues so you can get some hands-on help. Yes, you'll have to spend some money to do it, but it'll probably be cheaper than a lifetime of dog diapers!

That being said, it sounds VERY strange that he seems to be having accidents while he's laying down on the couch. That tends to be indicative of a health issue, since it was most likely an involuntary pee. I've never seen a dog that does that without having a health issue. A health issue would also explain why he was doing well with holding it, then started having problems again. Definitely something to ask your vet about.
    Rebecca