Thread: We're getting closer, but..........

Default We're getting closer, but..........

no where near done.
    I borrowed a crate and we are attempting crate training. I have some news and some questions.

The news is that she's doing great. We started Saturday morning, actually she slept in the crate Friday night, without a peep. This morning between 7:10 and 8:30 we had 2 poops and 1 pee, YAY Zoey! That's about how it was yesterday and the day before.

The questions are: I found a sample potty schedule on here, should I write down what she does every 15 minutes? If I watch tv for 30 minutes, is it better for her to be in her crate than on the couch with me? How long after she gets up should I feed her? At what point should play times be, before and after meals, etc? What is the minimum time total in a 12 hour period that she should be in her crate? I'm sure I have more questions, but I can't think of them right now.

I thought of another question.
    If she plays after she eats and drinks, then she wants to drink more, what do I do then, do I take her to her pad then put her in her crate and take her out every 10 minutes to the pad? If so and she doesn't pee, then how many times do I take her out of her crate before I let her stay out for a little while?

Great news!!!

I'll try to answer all of your questions... the potty schedule should include any potty-related stuff, regardless of the frequency... EVERYTHING should be written down. You ask if you should write down what she does every 15 minutes... does that mean she's going potty every 15 minutes??

As for whether she should be in the crate or with you on the couch when you watch TV, I'd vote for on the couch, assuming she's leashed to you or on your lap so she can't possibly have an accident. If you can't commit to that kind of supervision, better to put her in the crate for a while.

I don't think there's necessarily a minimum amount of time she should spend in the crate each day. Having her out as much as possible is usually a good thing, but, again, she needs to be supervised vigilantly to prevent accidents at all times when she's out of the crate.

There's not a specific amount of time you should wait after she gets up to feed her... just be sure you do it at a time that allows her plenty of time to empty out before you'd need to leave the house and/or crate her for an extended period of time.

You can have playtime with her anytime if you're doing it outside, but if she's inside, it's best to play with her after she's emptied out, since high levels of activities can get her bladder and bowels pumping and lead to accidents. For that same reason, active play sessions should be followed immediately by a potty trip!

If she drinks water and you put her back in her crate, I don't think she should need a chance to potty every 10 minutes at her age... maybe give it a shot after 30 minutes or so if you're worried she needs to go. That's assuming she doesn't have a history of having accidents in her crate... if she does, I'd be extra careful about giving her water before putting her in her crate and maybe take her out more frequently.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Yes, it is great news, I'm pretty excited!

About the potty schedule, it's really easy to stick to feeding her at the same time every day. I feed her at 9am and 6pm. I really don't understand how a potty schedule will be helpful because sometimes empties right after she eats and sometimes it's 3 hours.

Her always "going" on carpet before now is working to my advantage, because the 2 rooms that we spend most of our time in are not carpet and have doors. She has no problem staying on my lap or laying right beside me, when I get up I carry her, but last night and this morning I have let her follow me, and just carry her to her pee pad.

It's much easier to supervise her than when I was trying the leash training, because Miss Muffet would walk by and Zoey would take off and I can't move as fast as she can, so I would have to turn loose of the leash so she wouldn't choke herself. She's not had any accidents, she will however, sometimes squat a few feet from her pad, but I pick her up and she finishes on her pad, but she usually uses her pad when I set her on it. Does squatting somewhere else and finishing on the pad constitute a potty party? Because that's what we've been doing. I've been giving 3 tries, if she walks off of her pad, I set her right back on it, sometimes I'll let her walk a few feet to get things moving, but I follow her. If she doesn't empty the first time, should I just let her try again later?

What I mean by when to play with her is, if she just emptied and we play very actively then she will need more water, a lot of water, then what?

She hasn't had any accidents in her crate, even at first when she was spending more time in it.

So, she will be 1 in a couple of months, should I start feeding her 1 time a day when she turns 1?

I'm sorry if I sounded batty in my last post, I just want to do it the most effective, efficient way. In other words, I want to do it right the first time. So, I'll try to be more clear.

What I read on here is, not to stay long, so they don't get distracted, so they get the idea to empty and not wander and/or play. So, my question is: If I set her on her pad and she has had plenty of exercise, etc., and she walks off of it should that be her only chance? OR do I set her back on it a couple more times when she walks off of it?

Sorry for the delayed response... for some reason, this thread didn't show a new post icon and I missed your questions!

I'd definitely put her back on the pad a couple of times if you think she needs to go and she's wandering off. You might also benefit from putting her pads in a pan with a low edge to make a clearer distinction between the potty area and the rest of the floor. This should help to keep her from wandering off and should also help with the problem of her pottying right off the edge of the pads.

As for starting to feed her once a day, that's something you should discuss with your vet. Some adult dogs do fine with one feeding a day, others do better with two.

After you play with her, I wouldn't let her have "a lot" of water, as you said she's doing. I'd limit it somewhat, especially if this is happening right before she needs to go into her crate. Of course, you should make sure that she has sufficient water throughout the course of the day, but you don't have to let her gulp down a ton of it after she plays.

Keep us updated!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default Help

Hi I'm back with a conundrum. Zoey is doing awesome with the potty training. She is a year and a half old now. The problem is, it's summer. Last summer she was 3 lbs. and the thought of taking her outside terrified me. Still birds as big as her land in the yard, but when she was tiny and trying to potty train meant taking her out 43 times a day. She is going to be a part of our family (hopefully) for many, many years. So, I don't think I can deal with a pee pad for years and years. I'm not as scared now because she's a little bigger and she would only be going out 5 or 6 times a day max. She's about 7 lbs. now. Plus, we live out in the country, so traffic wouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking if I used a harness type thing we'd be ok.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Hi again, I'm glad to hear that Zoey is doing so well- congratulations

A 7 pound dog is at risk outside alone in many parts of the country. You have to worry about birds of prey, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, even big snakes. I would not let a tiny dog have access to the outside alone unless you are sure that this isn't an issue for you. If it is, I would recommend that you take her out on a leash when you can and leave the pee pads as a backup since she is using them well. Will that work for you?
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Thank you for replying so quickly. And thank you for the well wishes, I could not have done it without you guys. I tell everyone about your site.

No, I would never dream of letting go out alone. Trust me, I'm well aware of all the animals that live in our woods. Sorry, I wasn't clear, that's what I meant by "I'm thinking if I used a harness type thing we'd be ok." So, I would be taking her every time and bringing her back in as soon as she empties. I was just wondering about how to go about acclimating her to going outside. What would be the first step? Thanks again.

I think the easiest way to start with a dog who's been using the pads for a long while is to initially have him use the pad outdoors. Put it in a quiet area so she's not so distracted she can't get down to business and take her there when it's time to potty. This works best if you start it when she REALLY has to go, like first thing in the morning. You may need to anchor the pad down with some rocks so it doesn't blow away.

Once she starts using the pad outside, I start making it smaller and smaller... cut it in half, then in quarters, etc. until you're down to a little scrap, then nothing.

Remember that you want to give her some kind of reward for going potty in the right place, so praise and play with her or take her for a walk (if she likes that kind of thing!) after she uses her outdoor area.

This works well for most dogs. If you're having trouble getting her to go, let us know and we'll figure something out!
    Rebecca