Thread: How trustworthy is dogfoodanalysis.com?

Default How trustworthy is dogfoodanalysis.com?

Hello once again

Everything is going great with Rex and he has already learned "sit", "stay", "quiet" and fetching. Few days ago I was surfing and came across this neat website which categorizes dry dog food ranging from 1-6 stars according to their nutritious quality. As I mentioned earlier I live in Turkey and there aren't many brands to choose from down here.

I've asked other dog owners and a few vets and they all recommended two brands, namely Hill's and Pro Plan, which are considered the two best dry food as well as most expensive. I've been mixing these brands for Rex since we got him. However, when I checked those brands were rated with 1 or 2 stars. So I figured since there is only a handful of brands available, I might as well see if any one of them is rated better.

To my surprise, I found the brand Acana is rated with 4 stars, and is just half the price of Hill's and Pro Plan. So, I was wondering if you had any knowledge about this website.

Here are the links for 3 specific brands I mentioned
    Hill's: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=136&cat=all
    Pro Plan: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=253&cat=all
    Acana: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=2247&cat=all

Can't really trust vets since they are endorsed by pet food companies and get free stuff

I think this question might be answered best by Dana... she's done a lot more studying on dog food ingredients than I have!

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to dog food... if you have something your dog likes that he seems to digest well and he looks healthy (nice coat, good weight, etc.), that's good enough for me!

I'm always suspicious of new foods that are supposed to be the next big thing... I figure most of them don't have a long-term track record (dogs who have been on the food for 15 years), so who knows how good they really are.

Again, I think Dana will have a more detailed answer, so I'll pass this one off to her... Dana?
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Unfortunately I do agree that you cannot trust most vets when it comes to nutrition. Most do recommend Science Diet which I have never thought was a very good food, but strongly supports vets. Pro Plan is a common food and I know many people who swear by it, but again, I've never thought the ingredient list was all that great, mostly bc so many dogs have trouble with corn. The Acana has very good ingredients, thought lots of them which can be a problem for dogs with allergies. Oats are a better grain than corn for most dogs and the many ingredients are mostly veggies which are less likely to cause problems than the multiple grains listed for the other foods. I would certainly try the cheaper, better looking Arcana first. I would also look into raw feeding and at least supplement the kibble with some fresh healthy meats, eggs, yogurt and veggies. Healthy leftovers are also a great (and free!) option.

As Rebecca says, the proof is in the health of the dog, not the list of ingredients, so pay attention to skin, coat, smell (stinky dogs usually have health issues) and general attitiude and energy. If Rex feels and looks healthy, his food is probably working for him.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Thank you very much for your feedback. I think I will try Acana because there is a bit of dandruff on him after changing to Science Diet from Pro Plan and massive increase in the amount of poo. Maybe I can even mix Acana with ProPlan, will see.

Thanks

Just remember that a gradual change is usually best. Start with 75% of the food he's on now and add 25% of the new food. After a few days, if it's going well, go 50/50, then if that doesn't seem to cause any problems, 25% old food, 75% new food.

Once he survives all that, you should be able to have him on 100% new food with no digestive drama!

Let us know how he likes the new food!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default Dog Food

Hi there, First I would like to say thank you for having this website!! It has been a blessing. I am new here and I have a 3 yr old choc lab whose name is Harley and just got a 8 week old black lab whose name is Jackson. So this website has really helped me out with Jackson cause I had forgotten how hard it was to have a puppy again. So thank you!! I would like to weigh in on the dog food. I have been doing a lot of research on this and my dogs are on Halo for now. I had Harley on Beneful at one time( I know worst dog food ever) he had gotten really, really sick. I just had no idea. After do some research I found out like Dana said that corn, wheat and gluten are bad for dogs. They seem to do okay on it but I still wonder if there is a better or comparable less expensive dog food that is available. At 40.00 a bag this is going o get quite expensive.

Glad to hear you're finding our website helpful! Isn't it funny how we forget how tough it is to have a puppy until we get one again?

I tend to be pretty chill on the whole dog food topic... as long as the food is of a reasonably high quality and the dog seems to do well on it, that works for me. Dana will probably be able to give you a more detailed answer on this since she's more into the details than I am when choosing a dog food.

Keep us updated on your puppy's progress!
    Rebecca

Hi jbecca an welcome to the site! It's great that you are doing your nutrition homework. I would recommend that you check into the BARF diet or other raw diets. I find that a raw diet is more expensive at the front end, but saves money and problems in the long term. Especially for breeds that are inclined towards allergies, like labs. My dogs eat mostly raw with lots of leftovers and some veggies and supplements a couple times a week. They don't have any allergies, so I'm not too careful what I feed, but they are always healthier when o don't feed too much dog kibble.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages