Thread: New puppy

Default New puppy

After much research about the perfect pup that would fit into my lifestyle as an apartment dweller I purchased a 9 week old, male, Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagle. He was flown to me in Seattle, WA from Texas. By the time my pup got to me it was a 14 hour ordeal. You can imagine the kind of mess he was in with the poop he was covered in from his journey.

2 weeks later I am still working diligently on house training him. It is very difficult to do considering he still has terrible diarrhea. He has been on 2 week of meds for Coccidia and 2 weeks of kaopectate.

I have been crate training him and his accidents are getting less frequent in his crate. With the diarrhea he has a really hard time holding it. He has got the idea though and really hates it when he does have an accident in his crate.

He has learned fairly quickly that he should be using the grass outside to go the the bathroom.

My ultimate goal is to let him roam my apartment and he holds it until I let him out. Seems reasonable, right? Since he is such a small dog, I am concerned that if I would not be able to get home in time one day that he would just go to the bathroom in my apartment on the carpet. I initially didn't want to do any sort of pee pads in my apartment because I didn't want to teach him that it would be acceptable to go to the bathroom in the house. But I might have changed my mind because with the problem diarrhea he can't hold it. I don't want him pooping all over my carpet.

So he gets the crate thing... kinda, and the bathroom outside thing... Now how do I transition him to roaming the house and not using it for a bathroom? The few times I've tried it he pees at any chance he can get because he runs around like a mad man and then pees when he stops. I tell him no and run him outside and he won't pee. He didn't really have to go when he was inside, he was just peeing to pee or something. I've decide we aren't ready for the carpet yet.

I have an area in my apartment that I have designated for my pup. It's completely puzzle matted with a baby gated enclosure for him to run around in. He hates this area. He has some sort or separation anxiety when I put him in there unless I get in the area with him. Even if he can see me he freaks out, pees and poops everywhere, cries and whines. I can't get anything done in my house if he won't give me a minute to do anything. Even in the crate he cries for a considerable amount of time before he settles, especially if he can't see me. I can't teach him to not pee in that area if I am supposed to let him cry it out. He knows I will give him attention and get him out of the area if I catch him peeing or pooping.

Tonight I have made the gated area smaller and put down pee pads on all exposed areas that are not his bed or food and water. Will this teach him to go on the pee pads for another bathroom option? I can't reward him for going on the pee pads if I don't watch him do it and then he won't know that it is an acceptable option when he can't wait to go outside.

Since I started the outdoor bathroom routine with my pup am I confusing him by trying to change to pee pads for my convenience? I have a routine of taking him out the the grass to do his business right after I get him out of his crate. I decided to take him to a pee pad instead to teach him to go on the pee pad and he didn't know what to do. Day 1 was a failure.

Help!!

Hi Sally and welcome to the forum

It sounds like your new puppy experience is turning out to be a lot of work. Of course when you were dreaming of puppies you weren't thinking of constant diarrhea and messes to clean up! Surprise, puppies can be a lot of work and stress when they aren't being cute and lovable

The good news is that it sounds like you are doing a great job. The rough news is that your pup has come to you feeling sick and destroying your great housebreaking plan. I think you're plan was a good one- housebreaking is best trained if your puppy grows up learning that outside is where the potty is. But at this point the best training isn't working so, "good enough" will have to do Let the little guy have his indoor area and give him a potty area in there. If I were you I would use sod instead of potty pads, though. Since you want him to go outside only in the long term, keeping a piece of sod in the area shouldn't be totally un-doable and it should help him to use the indoor area quickly since he's already used to pottying outside on the grass. You can pick up sod at the Home Depot and place it over a piece of plastic to protect your floors. If it gets stinky you can just replace it. Since it should just be for a few weeks, I don't think this will be as much bother as trying to get the little guy to learn to use the potty pads.

As far as him protesting his time in the area, is he crate trained and good at staying in there without protesting? If so, you might start out with some crate time inside the potty area first and then try opening the door to the crate so he can come and go as he pleases within the gated area. Or, check out the crate acclimation article for more tips on getting him comfortable in his new area:

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com...cclimation.htm

Let us know how he is doing and keep us updated on any problems. I hope you and your vet are making progress on the little guy's digestive problems. Once you get that shaped up, the housebreaking shouldn't be so tough. Stick in there- this will get easier.
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

Default Update

So being than Benson is so young I bring him everywhere I go until he can be housebroken (it's a good thing I work for myself).

Last weekend I was going out of town for about 4 days and decided I'd better bring in another poop sample to the vet since after 2 weeks of meds he still did not have solid poop.

While out of town I got a call from my vet letting me know that Benson had giardia and needed to be on some different meds. I had only been gone for a couple hours of my 4 day trip so I knew I wasn't able to get him him meds till we got back. I thought the drugs could wait, but things went from bad to worse.

Benson got severely dehydrated, wouldn't eat, uncontrolable bloody diarrhea and he was hot to the touch (fever). I knew I had to do something soon but I was 600 miles away from home, I stopped at a pharmacy, called my vet and asked them to call in the prescription to the pharmacy and see if they could figure out how to get the correct dose for a 2.5 lbs dog. The pharmacist was really understanding and helped me out. I got him started on his meds right away.

Benson is now happy and healthy and the potty training is a breeze now that he has solid poop. I bought a shallow litter box and put a piece of sod down in the bottom. He seemed to get the idea right away, after a couple uses I put a potty pad on top of the sod and he seemed to still get the idea. I took the sod out of the box and just have a potty pad in the box. He uses it like a champ. Took him 2 days for him to be running to the box and using it on his own. Not that he doesn't still have multiple accidents a day peeing on the carpet, but he totally gets the potty pad box thing. I like the idea of the pad in the box because he can't miss that way.

As for the fenced in area, I had to nix that. His anxiety was so bad I thought he was going to hurt himself. He was peeing, pooping, digging, scratching, howling, running in circles, running head first into his crate (which I put in the fenced area with the door removed). He was practically foaming out the mouth and that was with me laying next to the fenced area, where he could see me. I knew this wasn't going to work for him or me.
    Without the threat of Benson having diarrhea all over my carpet I loosed up on letting him roam in my house and I just keep an eye on him where ever he goes so I can catch him in the act and correct him. Seems to be working great.

Thanks for your advice.

Glad to hear Benson's feeling better... that must have been pretty scary! Sounds like you're on the right track with his housebreaking, but just be sure to supervise him as closely as possible to minimize those accidents he's having. If you're able to catch and correct him and get him to finish up in the right place, the accidents will do a lot less damage to your overall housebreaking program.

Hope things continue to go well... keep us updated!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!