Thread: happy dance.....and wahoo

Default happy dance.....and wahoo

It's Miki's Mommy.... and yes....I think so...could it be? ....that potty training has sunk in! I sure hope I'm not jinxing myself but time will tell on that! I was checking and it's been two months since I was whimpering about Miki's behaviors. Now..dear trainers....what should I do ...about leaving her?? Should I just go outside for short periods of time...with her contained in a potty area..? to see if she will hold it.
    I had put her into the garage last week, with plenty to do..and little to tear apart. and she went the whole time (2 1/2 hrs) without an accident.
    Last week it was a little over three hours...and she just didn't make it...but hey..she's only 8 months old, and she was by the door.....but nobody there to tell. I believe we are progressing nicely with this.
    And she's a prize pupil with the new agility training we just began; just loves, loves, loves..learning something new.

Hi Lonna,

It's nice to hear that Miki is doing so well Agility training is a ton of fun, glad to hear you have caught the bug- that should keep you two busy and happy.

Going from a lot of confinement and supervision to freedom alone is a big step. I would not rush this. In my experience, dogs are usually at their most destructive at 8-10 months and this is often the time when people start giving them more freedom. I would only leave an adolescent dog for very short periods (5-30 minutes depending on the dog), and only when they are totally tired out and emptied out. You might do this many times in a day to start getting Miki more independent, but I would try to avoid long blocks of time until Miki has been perfect alone for months on short "trips". When you need to leave her for longer periods, I would go back to a crate or a puppy proofed area where you are sure she will not have potty accidents and can't get hurt or destroy anything. 2 years old is a more likely age to handle long spans of time without supervision. I don't want to be a party pooper, just make sure that all goes smoothly for you both. Sounds like you've done a great job so far with the housebreaking and I would hate to hear about her eating your favorite shoes
    Dana

Save money on your pet products and help us to keep our site FREE!
    Shop through our affiliate product pages

I agree with Dana... slow and steady wins the race!

Glad to hear Miki's being such a good girl, though!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Thumbs down **Rats**

I knew I was jinxing myself with this 8 month old Silky terrier.aka Miki Renee. Talking the talk.....wahoo and happy dance even. 2 months and nary a tinkle except where it was supposed to be...(right after I posted)....we had an opps......I'll raise my hand....on the phone.....but where was that potty yip!? Two points on the bad board for Miki ....1 for Mommy.. then Daddy was in charge...although not in the same room (close supervision; NOT)...I come out from changing attire to head to a picnic ..and there's the tinkle in the hall...but no Miki.! Who was I more mad with; I think it was Daddy, but I've had him longer than Miki! I caught up with her...and it was "outside go potty, outside go potty" and a flash of fur, and out the door we went. She came in ..sniffed the area...and I told her ....bad puppy! and she sauntered off..with a huffy "oh really" attitude!! but it's five days later, and so far so good.
    I've read that this little breed can be a trial...when it comes to potty training. I sure think I'm doing all that I can to get her there, and maybe it's just consistency and a few more months under our belt and maybe a really mean growl if I happen to catch her in the act ! (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr) ( Is that mean enough?)
    You are always so encouraging and so helpful when the grumping starts from me.
    Thanks for the shoulder and the atta girls to keep me positive on this.

We've all been there... everything's going great and then there's a mystery puddle! One little oops isn't going to ruin your training... the key is to make sure it doesn't become a habit and it sounds like you're doing a good job with that.

You'll be happy dancing and wahooing again soon enough!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default oooopss...but still a good girl

Miki has had her 1st birthday, and we have managed to survive most of puppyhood. She was having a barking day, and Mommy ignored her. Wrong thing to do!! Bad Mommy....Bad Miki......a tinkle in the hall. Sigh!! She tried but we ignored so black mark on the parents. Other than that, she is doing amazingly well; even starting to ring the doggie doorbell we got for her. One thing ....how do you know if it's really potty time; or sheesh....there's a noise there and I just have to know what that is!! It gets to be more bothersome at night; with her "needing to know" about every 20 minutes or so. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe she just needs to get more familiar with her surroundings?? Also...off the potty training lessons, any really good tips with dealing with the spazzy puppy when the sweeper is being run...or a storm is threatening?? She is a mess and the constant barking and pacing is sooooooooooooo annoying and frustrating as you can't get her to calm down. Puppy valium??
    Thanks.
    Lonna and "miki"

Hi, Lonna...

Glad to hear Miki is mostly doing pretty well! The "false alarms" are a common problem with dogs who have doorbells. Typically, the best way to resolve it is to make sure you take her out only for a strictly business potty trip when she rings the bell... no walking around, no playing, no chasing butterflies, just out to her "spot" and right back into the house.

Obedience training goes a long way with spazzy, vacuum chasing dogs. A trainer should probably be able to fix that problem in a single session, but it's kind of a hands-on thing! With the storm worries, many dogs do better if they're in a secure place so they can't get themselves all worked up pacing around and freaking out. If she has a crate, you might try putting her in there with something extra yummy to chew on when you know she's about to get storm-freaky. Another option is to keep her with you on her leash and just hang out and relax, hoping she'll follow your lead. In either case, blocking outdoor sounds with the TV or radio or using a white noise machine can be a big help. For dogs that are so freaked they're in danger of harming themselves, talking to the vet to see about some anti-anxiety meds might be in order and, again, working with a trainer to build her confidence wouldn't hurt, either!
    Rebecca

Default on and on ..goes the Miki merry go round

I will continue with being assertive against that vaccuum attack...that a leave it..and her into another room...Daddy plays silly games with her and the sweeper, and she thinks it's a game of kill the sweeper. I'll try that with the next storm; crating her ..as she will go that on her own...when it's bedtime...or she needs a break from us. LOL...How could that possibly be??