Thread: Help!!!!!!

Default Help!!!!!!

Hi...its been awhile since Ive been here. I have another difficult foster dog potty training problem. I could use any help and suggestions.
    She is 1-2 years old and may have been a puppy mill mom. She came to us extremely underweight and in horrible condition. She at first was eating her poo but with supplements, good diet and pineapple she has gotten better....but she does still play with it and smear it around. She just had knee surgery and is on strict confinement for 6-8 weeks. She lives in a small xpen and is only allowed out of it on leash and must only take a few steps at a time, no running or jumping. Our first biggest problem is she is a complete nervous wreck outside and cannot calm down enough to poo or pee. She is panicking and bucking like a bronco which she cant do without hurting her leg???? So we cant really walk around and get the potties out. She is usually so stressed that I just take her back in so she doesnt get hurt. We had her for 2 weeks before the surgery and she would run crazy and frantic whenever outside, she just hates being outside. So in her area I have tried pee pads she wont walk on them at all, if I cover the xpen she will just tear them up til she can walk on the hard wood floor again. Then the next biggest problem is when she poops or pees she will lay in it, she seldom goes to the other end where her bed is. She has no issue with lying in her pee or poo. I almost think she may prefer to be in it???
    Ok thats all I can think of right now....I hope someone has help us

Oh, my... sounds like you've taken on quite a project here! First, I have to tell you that you may need some hands-on help from a trainer, since this goes beyond being a housebreaking issue with this poor little scared beastie. That being said, I'll give you a few suggestions.

Crate training typically doesn't work too well in the beginning with dogs that come out of situations like this... she's probably been laying in her pee and poo since day one, so she's lost her natural tendency to try to stay clean. I think your best bet would be to do as much puppy airlift training as possible (I'm assuming she's a small dog?), so her feet only touch the ground in areas where it's okay for her to go potty.

When you're not airlifting her, you should probably try having her in a pen that's just big enough for her bed and some sort of potty area... you can continue to try with the pads or you might want to think about a sod pad so she gets used to going on grass if you eventually want her to go potty outside only. Make sure there's no floor space for her to have accidents. With any luck at all, she'll choose not to go on her comfy little bed (fingers crossed!).

When taking her outside at first, I wouldn't even expect her to go potty... she's too scared at this point and pushing it may only make her more scared. I'd find the quietest area possible outside and just go out there several times a day to hang out with her. Sit down on the ground with her and just hang out. Of course, you should have her on a leash if there's a concern that she might panic and run. Once she seems a little more comfortable with being outside, you can start trying to get her to go potty in that same quiet area. If she doesn't want to go when you have her on the leash out there, you can also set up a little potty pen for her to use.

This sounds like it'll be a tough one, so be prepared to be PATIENT! Try these suggestions, consider hiring a trainer and please check back in if you have any more questions or to let us know how she's doing!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Thank you Rebecca
    I think the sod pad is a great idea and I think she wont be able to smear and get in it as much with grass and she can on a flat surface. Im going to go get one today. I think she will just take some time to get used to being clean and hopefully soon she will not want to be near her waste. Other than that she is so sweet and adorable...Im attaching a picture of her for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She's adorable! So sad to think such a cute little thing had such a rough start in life. I'm just happy there are people like you out there that are willing to put in the time to help dogs like this have the lives they deserve!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!