Thread: Adopted 1 Year Old Pit Mix Who Won't Pee Outside

Hybrid View

Exclamation Adopted 1 Year Old Pit Mix Who Won't Pee Outside

Dear Trainers,

Last week, I adopted a one year old female pit mix named Roxy. The shelter we adopted her from said she had been a stray, so we have no information on her past.

Generally, she is the sweetest, most playful girl you could imagine. However, it was quickly obvious that she had no leash training and was not at all house trained.

At first, I didn't want to crate train her (didn't do it on my previous dogs and thought it might have been a bit cruel to leave her locked up all day), but I saw the light and got a crate after I realized the only place she wanted to pee was inside and when I left her home alone (even for a few minutes), she would go crazy and eat everything she could find (luckily not my furniture ).

So, I have been crating her for the past few days, but she still doesn't seem to get it and seems to really hates being in the crate (she whines and yelps and has cut her nose trying to get out). Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to get her acclimated to the crate, but I have tried to make it as comfortable a place for her as possible. I give her kongs and bones and play music when I leave, and I make sure she is let out for long walks. I take her on a 2 mile run in the morning (so she should be tired when she gets crated), come back to the apartment at lunch to let her out again, and take her on at least 2 long walks at night.

The problem is that Roxy still doesn't understand that she should go to the bathroom outside. Despite all of my efforts to give her time to relieve herself, she has only gone to the bathroom outside twice. Of course, I praised her excessively and gave her treats to try to reinforce this, but she continues to mess inside. Yesterday, after walking her for 30 minutes at lunch (and her not going to the bathroom), she pooped and peed in her crate. When I came back home from work about 3 hours later, she was sitting in it and seemed to not have that "clean" instinct. I took her outside for another long walk, and once again, she would not go. When put her back inside her crate and left to run an errand, I returned to find her sitting in her poop and pee again.

First, I don't understand why she won't go to the bathroom outside. I live in New York and walk her on both the concrete and the grass--we spend hours in the park. I give her ample time to go, but she won't. This is particularly frustrating because I don't have the opportunity to reinforce the good behavior. I also don't understand how she has so much poop and pee stored up to soil her crate so much when I leave. I keep her on a strict feeding and drinking schedule and try not to give her too much food or water before she has to go in the crate.

Please help! I know I haven't had her for a long time and that house training doesn't happen overnight, but I can't even get her to do the right thing so I can praise her for it, and I'm never home at the right time to catch her in the act and punish her for doing the wrong thing.

Thank you,
    Tired of Cleaning Up Poop and Pee

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new dog. Have you read our article about dogs who have accidents in their crates? It should help to give you some ideas for getting her out of the habit of pottying when she's confined.

Of course, for that to work, we also need to get her going potty outside! I think the best way to accomplish this, under the circumstances, is for you to read our umbilical cord training article and put her on an umbilical cord program over the weekend or at some time when you can dedicate a couple of solid days to supervising her. It won't be fun, but it will keep her from having the opportunity to have any accidents and it should get her to go outside so you can praise her and tell her how fabulous she is.

If she likes other dogs, it can be helpful to walk her with another dog, if you have any dog-owning friends whose dogs have good potty habits. Some dogs will follow another dog's lead in learning which areas are potty zones, so it might be worth a try.

After reading the articles I mentioned, feel free to post if you have any specific questions...

Hang in there!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Default Update on Roxy

I have good news! I finally got Roxy to go to the bathroom outside!! She has been taking care of her duties on our morning and evening walks.

However, she is still soiling her crate and making a fuss when we leave her in there. I tried several things you site has suggested -- made the crate smaller, avoiding meals before crating, covering the crate with a blanket, playing music/TV while I am gone, giving her kongs stuffed with the most delicious snacks imaginable -- but she still flips out. She barks, tries to escape, and uses the bathroom in her crate when we leave.

From my research, I think she might be suffering from a bit of separation anxiety. Do you think this could be the case? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks,
    Emma

Glad to hear things are looking up!

If she's still flipping out in the crate, you may need to hire a trainer to come out and do some hands-on work with her or it may just take some time for her to adjust, so, in the meantime, keep doing all the things you mentioned and try having her in the crate for short periods when you're at home. This can help her to realize that the going into the crate doesn't mean you'll be gone for hours.

Keep up the good work!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default Roxy the Escape Artist

Roxy has figured out how to escape from her wire crate. She has escaped by opening the latch on the bottom of the door and squeezing out, and yesterday, she managed to disconnect the front panel of the crate from the top and get out of a fairly small hole she created at the top. ....Smartest dog alive...

While I am impressed by her ingenuity, I am worried because she seems to be hurting herself in the process (a 30 lb dog squeezing through a tiny hole in a wire cage can't be good), and she makes a huge mess of the apartment when she gets out. Luckily, she isn't doing any permanent damage, but she eats everything she can find and goes to the bathroom everywhere.

I don't know if I should continue trying to crate her or try to isolate her to a small room (like the bathroom -- where she can't do too much damage) while I am gone. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Emma

Yikes! Wire crates and escape artists are a bad combo. I'd probably go with a molded plastic kennel (an airline crate) that's one size too big for her... the larger size is much more escape-proof.

Be sure she has NO collar on when she's in the crate, since it can get caught and choke her during an escape attempt.

Closing her in a small room might work, but it could also be a disaster... dogs can eat doors, walls, floorboards and can often open doors and get out to wreak havoc in the rest of the house.

You might try contacting the organization you adopted her from to see if they have a trainer that works with them. Often they'll have someone who can help you for free or at a discounted rate.
    Rebecca