Thread: My dog hates my puppy!!

1. Exclamation My dog hates my puppy!!

I just got a new baby Yorkie girl, and I have a 3 yr old Male Yorkie already. He is not neutered, (which I know is a problem-but it cannot be changed) because he has microvascular dysplasia which means his liver will not break down the anesthesia and surgery can be lethal. He is perfectly housebroken, obedient, etc, extremely friendly to people and other animals. He loves other dogs and hates being home alone so we thought it would be a good idea to get him a playmate. Well we brought her home and he HATES her. He growls, snarls and snaps at her and she just keeps going after him anyway because she LOVES him. I don't know how to train him to stop this behavior. Its been a month. I thought with time it might get better. But its not. I can;t have them together for more then a few minutes and it kills me to have to end up putting her in the crate more often. I give them separate play time and then together time, but nothing helps. What can I do??? I know she will calm down when she's spayed, but he will never be neutered and I am worried he won't change. HELP!!
    My other question is what do you do when a puppy keeps pooping/peeing in her crate?? I have never had a problem crate training, all my other dogs I have trained in the past learned to go outside within weeks. Its been a month with her and she doesn't have a clue. She has the right size crate, but she still goes and sits in it. Even if she has space, she will sit in it anyway. It's like she could care less that shes in poop. I feed her 3 small meals a day, she just poops like crazy even with a schedule. At night I take her food away by 7, so she can empty out before bed. Even if shes pooped 3 times before bed she still poops again in the crate! I don't leave her in there for too long either. I wake up to let her out but its already happened sometimes. As for going out, I try to take her out before and after work, she has pee pads in her pen along with her crate during the day because it would be just too long. I think this is confusing her but I have no choice. So now, She sometimes won't go outside at all. Then comes in a goes on the floor. I don't know what to do, Ive read your site inside and out. I follow everything. But she is impossible! I have had 3 puppies over the years that I have trained and never had problems like this. My husband is ready to throw her out a window but I am trying to patient with her. What do I do??!

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the new beastie (and the old one!).

As far as the aggression from your older dog toward the puppy goes, you'll probably want to hire a trainer ASAP to help you work on that one. Without seeing the behavior and being familiar with the dogs' temperaments, I can't really advise you what to do for that issue. It should be fixable, though... it's very common for an existing dog to be cranky with a new puppy for a while and it can almost always be worked out with the help of an experienced trainer.

As far as your housebreaking issues go, if you've already tried all the tips in our article about dogs who have accidents in their crates, you might need to abandon the crate training for now. I'd suggest having her in her pen with her pads when she's alone or unsupervised, then, when you're around for extended periods, do the puppy airlift technique to prevent her from having the opportunity to have accidents by having her feet touch the ground only when she's outside, then you can graduate to umbilical cord training once she's doing a little better... you can find complete instructions for both methods in the training section of our website or by using the search box in the upper right hand corner of the home page of our site.

You didn't mention the puppy's age... sometimes puppies do poo a LOT when they're tiny, but if you feel she's going with unusual frequency or if she's having diarrhea or soft stools, you should talk to her vet about it. Once you rule out any health issues, you might want to consider a food change, since some foods create lower stool volume, which should help her to go less frequently and make housebreaking easier.

Let us know how it goes!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

3. Default

In answer to your questions, my yorkie pup is now 16weeks old, she is about 3 lbs, and she is healthy as far as I know since our last vet visit. She is pooping a lot still, so I am going to have her checked out again this week at our next vet visit, and I am going to ask about changing her food.
    So I decided to go back to the airlift technique like you mentioned. In the mornings I am letting her out first thing, I feed her in her crate under my supervision, then I take her out again shortly after, before I leave for work. During the day she has treat filled toys to keep her busy and tohave as a snack so she is not starving all day, but also because I can't leave food out or she will gobble it up immediately. During the day she is left in her pen with her crate, her water, toys, and wee-wee pads. She pees on the pads while I'm gone because I have no other choice, I can't come home to let her out. When I get home, i take her out immediately, feed her and then take her out consistently after, at least each hour. I am either holding her all evening or she is in her crate under my supervision. She isn't having accidents in the crate during this time, and when take her out, I say "do business" and she pees right away, but she won't poop! She seems to be holding it until I leave her in the pen with her pads! For example I fed her last night at 6 and had her out a million times to pee and she wouldn't poop. At 10 I put her in the pen and she immediately started to squat and poop, so I said no, took her right out and said business. I got nothing. I put her back in the pen and she started to poop! I took her out again, even brought the pad outside, and nothing. It seems she wants her pads in her pen to poop....how can I stop this association and ger to realize she has to do it outside? I would like to get rid of the pen all together, but I need it for during the day when I'm at work. What would you do?

Well, if you plan to continue to have her use the pads permanently as one of her potty options, I wouldn't really worry too much about the fact that she only wants to poo there.

If you don't want to keep the pads permanently, there are a couple of options. If you have a yard, you can start her off going out there by setting up a pen/pad out in the yard like you have in the house, which should allow her to feel more comfortable going outside, since it's a familiar setup. Over time, you'd move to having the pen out there without the pad, then you can eliminate the pen and she should continue to use the same spot to potty.

Another option would be to eliminate the pen system altogether and go to straight crate training... while she's a pup, this would require you to have someone come in mid-day to let her out to potty, but it would probably be worth it in the long run!

Another thing to try if you want to stick to your current system would be taking her for a long walk to get her to potty... for a lot of dogs, the exercise gets things moving so they'll poop outside instead of waiting to go back in.

Hope that helps!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!