Thread: Jolie. My 12 month old Bichon Frise

Smile Jolie. My 12 month old Bichon Frise

Hello my name is April. I want to say thank you for this site! It has worked wonders for me.
    I'm crate training Jolie as well as using the umbilical cord method. She seems to have no problem soiling her crate at night even after going out at 11:00 PM. I realize now I will have to get up in the middle of the night to take her out but is a 24 x 18 x 20 crate too big for her? I have a ASPCA wire crate and she is between 8-10 lbs.
    Also, in her crate is a water bottle that she has access to all day until 8 PM then she gets no water at all, plus she gets a fresh bowl of water 3 times a day as she eats. Is this acceptable?
    Lastly, can you recommend a better puppy food other than Iams Smart Puppy ProActive? She only eats a few pebbles even when I add water. She loves Kibble's and Bits but I know that is not a good choice.

Thank you,
    April

Glad to hear things are mostly going well with Jolie. Sounds like you're on the right track with your program so far!

Hard to say by the measurements whether the crate is the right size, since I don't know exactly how big Jolie is, but a good rule of thumb for crate size is that crate should be just large enough for the dog to be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in the crate. No extra space other than that during the housebreaking phase, but once she's older and more responsible, a bigger crate with more room to stretch out is fine.

As for the food issue, you might want to go to the pet store to see if you can get samples of a few high-quality kibbles, then try them out to see if there's one she seems to like. Remember that any food change should be gradual, though, or you can end up with a digestive system disaster!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!